COUNTY OF PLACER
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
TUESDAY, JUNE 9, 2009
F.C. “Rocky” Rockholm, District 1, Chairman Thomas Miller, County Executive
Robert Weygandt, District 2 Anthony J. La Bouff, County Counsel
Jim Holmes, District 3 Rich Colwell, Chief Assistant County Executive
Kirk Uhler, District 4, Vice Chairman Mike Boyle, Assistant County Executive
Jennifer Montgomery, District 5 Holly Heinzen, Assistant County Executive
Ann Holman, Clerk of the Board
County Administrative Center, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, CA 95603
Materials related to an item on this Agenda submitted to the Board after distribution of the agenda packet are available for public inspection at the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors Office, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, during normal business hours. Placer County is committed to ensuring that persons with disabilities are provided the resources to participate fully in its public meetings. If you are hearing impaired, we have listening devices available. If you require additional disability-related modifications or accommodations, including auxiliary aids or services, please contact the Clerk of the Board. If requested, the agenda shall be provided in appropriate alternative formats to persons with disabilities. All requests must be in writing and must be received by the Clerk five business days prior to the scheduled meeting for which you are requesting accommodation. Requests received after such time will be accommodated only if time permits.
FLAG SALUTE – Led by Supervisor Uhler.
STATEMENT OF MEETING PROCEDURES - Read by Clerk.
PUBLIC COMMENT: Persons may address the Board on items not on this agenda. Please limit comments to 3 minutes per person since the time allocated for Public Comment is 15 minutes. If all comments cannot be heard within the 15-minute time limit, the Public Comment period will be taken up at the end of the regular session. The Board is not permitted to take any action on items addressed under Public Comment.
SUPERVISOR’S COMMITTEE REPORTS:
CONSENT AGENDA (Pages 6 -9) - All items on the Consent Agenda (Items 14 thru 26) have been recommended for approval by the County Executive Department. All items will be approved by a single roll call vote. Anyone may ask to address Consent items prior to the Board taking action, and the item may be moved for discussion.
TIMED ITEMS TO BE DISCUSSED AT THE TIME SHOWN
1. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS – Present a Commendation honoring the Meadow Vista based “LEGO Guards” team members for winning the First Place “Innovation Award” at the FIRST (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology) LEGO League global “Children’s Climate Action Summit” held in Copenhagen, Denmark in May, 2009.
2. GRANITE BAY PARKS, TRAILS AND OPEN SPACE ASSESSMENT DISTRICT - Conduct a public hearing to consider adoption of a resolution approving the Engineer’s Report, confirming diagram and assessment and ordering levy of assessment from $65.86 in Fiscal Year 2008-2009 to $67.66 per unit, a 2.7% increase, for Fiscal Year 2009-2010 for the Granite Bay Parks, Trails and Open Space Assessment District.
3. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/COMMUNITY GRANTS & LOANS - Adopt a resolution authorizing the County Executive Officer to execute a Cooperative Agreement with the cities of Lincoln and Rocklin and authorizing a joint application to the California Department of Housing and Community Development for a grant of $2,046,469 from the Community Development Block Grant Neighborhood Stabilization Program.
4. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES/ADULT SYSTEM OF CARE/CALENDAR YEAR 2010-2011 COMMUNITY SERVICES BLOCK GRANT COMMUNITY ACTION PLAN - Request the Board take the following actions:
a. Conduct a public hearing to consider the Placer County Community Action Plan for Calendar Years 2010 and 2011; and
b. Authorize the Chairman to sign the Certification of Community Action Plan and Assurances; and
c. Adopt a resolution authorizing the Director of Health and Human Services to apply for and enter into a contract with the California Department of Community Services and Development to receive funds under the Calendar Years 2010 and 2011 Community Services Block Grant program, to accept any amendments or revisions and to perform any responsibilities in relation to the contract. The grant amount for 2010 is expected to be $243,054.
No County General Fund contribution is required.
5. PUBLIC WORKS:
a. Foresthill Capital Improvement Plan Update and Traffic Mitigation Fee Adjustment – Conduct a public hearing and adopt an Ordinance modifying the Capital Improvement Program (CIP) and corresponding Traffic Mitigation from $3,655 per dwelling unit equivalent (DUE) to $4,425 per residential DUE (21% increase) and $2,301 per non-residential DUE (37% decrease) for the Foresthill Traffic Impact Fee District.
b. Granite Bay Capital Improvement Plan Update and Traffic Mitigation Fee Adjustment – Conduct a public hearing and adopt an Ordinance modifying the Capital Improvement Program (CIP) and corresponding Traffic Mitigation from $5,706 per dwelling unit equivalent (DUE) in Fiscal Year 2008-2009 to $5,928 per DUE, a 3.8% increase, for Fiscal Year 2009-2010 for the Granite Bay Traffic Impact Fee District.
c. Traffic Mitigation Fees Annual Adjustment – Conduct a public hearing and adopt a Resolution to increase the Capital Improvement Costs and corresponding Countywide Traffic Mitigation Fees to reflect an increase of 2.5% in construction costs since April of 2008.
6. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS – Consider a written request from the Chairman of the Board of the Nevada Irrigation District (NID), to offer input on the candidates seeking appointment to the unexpired term of the NID Division IV Seat, recently vacated by the retirement of the incumbent, and transmit any recommendations to NID.
DEPARTMENT ITEMS TO BE CONSIDERED FOR ACTION AS TIME ALLOWS
7. ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES/PROCUREMENT – Authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign the following:
a. Competitive Bid #9899/Bulk Gasoline and Diesel Fuel Purchases and Deliveries/Public Works and Placer County Fire - Award to Hunt & Sons, Inc., of Rocklin, in the maximum aggregate amount of $2,145,000.
b. Sole-Source Agreement/Maintenance of the Property Tax System/Auditor, Assessor & Treasurer-Tax Collector - Approve the renewal of a Sole-Source Maintenance Agreement with Megabyte Systems, in the amount of $339,637.32, for maintenance of the Property Tax System shared jointly by the Auditor, Assessor, and Treasurer-Tax Collector Departments.
8. COUNTY EXECUTIVE - Consider and approve a resolution authorizing the Chairman to sign a property tax sharing agreement with the City of Lincoln for annexation of the area known as Lincoln 270.
9. FACILITY SERVICES:
a. County Service Area 28, Zone 6 (Sheridan Sewer, Water & Lighting) – Consistent with the Board’s intent on December 9, 2008, it is recommended that the Board:
1. Approve a Budget Revision authorizing $425,000 in contributions from the FY 08-09 General Fund Community and Agency Support appropriation to Budget to CSA 28, Zone 6 (Sheridan Sewer, Water and Lighting).
2. Approve expenditures between July 1, 2009, and the adoption of the FY 2009/10 Final Budget, for the Sheridan Spray Irrigation and the Sheridan Water Supply and Distribution capital projects that will be funded by these contributions.
b. Sewer Maintenance District # 3/County Service Area 28, Zone 6 (Sheridan Sewer, Water & Lighting), & 24 (Applegate Sewer) - It is recommended that the Board approve a Budget Revision to implement the following actions as recommended by the Sewer Infrastructure Financing Committee:
1. Forgive existing long-term debt totaling $1,370,000 owed by County Service Area (CSA) 28, Zone 6 (Sheridan Sewer, Water and Lighting) to the County Service Area Revolving Fund.
2. Forgive existing long-term debt totaling $1,348,000 owed by CSA 28, Zone 24 (Applegate Sewer) to the County Service Area Revolving Fund.
3. Forgive existing long-term debt totaling $1,065,000 owed by Sewer Maintenance District 3 (SMD 3) to the County Service Area Revolving Fund.
10. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES:
a. Adult System of Care/Umbrella Contracts/Medical Care Services - Approve a maximum payment authorization (“umbrella contract”) in a not to exceed amount of $280,000 for the period of July 1, 2009 through June 30, 2011, to provide medical care services at the Cirby Hills Psychiatric Health Facility (PHF) and Cirby Hills Crisis Residential Treatment Facility by Dr. Surender S. Chima and Dr. Sukhdev S. Khangura; and authorize the Director of Health and Human Services to sign individual provider agreements and authorize amendments as needed. The contract amount is 1.8 percent higher than the prior year due to adding required general liability insurance and greater utilization of these services. Funding of $140,000 for FY 2009-10 is a combination of $77,000 Federal and State funds, and $63,000 in County General Funds. These expenditures are included in the Department’s FY 2009-10 Proposed Budget.
b. Children’s System of Care/Umbrella Contract/Day Treatment and Residential Mental Health Services - Request the Board to take the following actions:
a. Approve a maximum payment authorization (“umbrella contract”) in a not-to-exceed amount of $1,300,000 (a 14.3 percent decrease from the prior year) for the period of July 1, 2009 through June 30, 2010, to provide day treatment and residential mental health services currently provided by nine group home providers;
b. Authorize the Chairman to sign individual provider agreements; and
c. Authorize the Director of Health and Human Services to add any new, qualified providers and authorize amendments as needed.
The required match for these mandated services includes $249,000 in County General Funds. These costs are included in the Department’s FY 2009-10 Proposed Budget.
c. Children’s System of Care/Umbrella Contract/Mental Health Private Network Providers - Request the Board to take the following actions:
a. Approve a maximum payment authorization (“umbrella contract”) to facilitate payment to Systems of Care (SOC) mental health private network providers,
b. Authorize the Auditor-Controller’s Office to establish a payment ceiling in an amount not to exceed $900,000 (a decrease of 10 percent from the prior year), and
c. Authorize Health and Human Services to amend the list of providers as necessary for the period from July 1, 2009 through June 30, 2010.
The required match for these mandated services includes $205,000 in County General Funds. These costs are included in the Department’s FY 2009-10 Proposed Budget.
d. Children’s System of Care/Contract/Behavior Stabilization Support Services - Approve an agreement with FamiliesFirst, Inc., dba EMQ FamiliesFirst to provide short-term, intensive behavior stabilization and/or support services from July 1, 2009 through June 30, 2011 in an amount not to exceed $636,000, and authorize the Director of Health and Human Services to sign subsequent amendments up to $49,999. The FY 2009-10 amount of $318,000 represents a 32% increase from the prior year as a result of additional State funds being provided for these services, of which $59,000 is required County General Fund match. These costs are included in the Department’s FY 2009-10 Proposed Budget.
e. Human Services/Contract/CalWORKs Information Network - Approve Amendment #2 to Contract CN011038 with Electronic Data Systems, LLC for CalWORKs Information Network (CalWIN) Maintenance, and Operation Services for the eighteen CalWIN counties, to extend the current 125-month contract term through June 30, 2013 for a total revised term of 161 months, contingent upon review and approval by Risk Management and County Counsel. Expenditures for this 3-year contract extension are $3.5 million, including $3,335,000 in Federal and State funding and $165,000 in required County General Fund match. The contract remains at the same rate as in the current year. Costs are included in the Department’s FY 2009-10 Proposed Budget. No additional County General Funds are required.
11. PROBATION - Approve a third of four year option for contract with Koinonia Foster Homes, Inc., in the amount of $550,000 for Fiscal Year 2009-2010 to provide comprehensive services to at-risk minors and their families in support of the Juvenile Justice Crime Prevention Act (JJCPA), as required by the Comprehensive Multiagency Juvenile Justice Plan funding allocation.
ADJOURN AS THE PLACER COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS AND
CONVENE AS THE PLACER COUNTY REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY BOARD
12. REDEVELOPMENT - Adopt a resolution authorizing the first amendment to the $500,000 pre-development loan agreement with BB, LLC and authorize the Redevelopment Director or designee to execute all related documents.
ADJOURN AS THE PLACER COUNTY REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY BOARD AND
RECONVENE AS THE PLACER COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
Pursuant to the cited authority (all references are to the Government Code), the Board of Supervisors will hold a closed session to discuss the following listed items. A report of any action taken will be presented prior to adjournment.
(A) §54956.8 – CONFERENCE WITH REAL PROPERTY NEGOTIATOR
(a) Property: Approximately 16 acres of property located south of Sheridan, California, adjacent to the Sheridan Waste Water Treatment Plant, APN 019-250-006
Agency Negotiator(s): Tom Miller, Jim Durfee, Mary Dietrich, Anthony La Bouff.
Negotiating Parties: County of Placer and the Percival Family Trust
Under Negotiation: Price, terms of payment, or both.
(B) §54957.6 - CONFERENCE WITH LABOR NEGOTIATORS
(a) Agency designated representatives: Tom Miller, Nancy Nittler, Mike Boyle, Gerald O. Carden, Anthony J. La Bouff
Employee organization: PPEO. DSA.
CLOSED SESSION REPORT:
CONSENT AGENDA (Pages 6-9) - All items on the Consent Agenda (Items 14 thru 26) have been recommended for approval by the County Executive Department. All items will be approved by a single roll call vote. Anyone may ask to address Consent items prior to the Board taking action, and the item may be moved for discussion.
a. Resolution authorizing the Agricultural Commissioner/Sealer to sign contract #09–C0028 with the California Department of Pesticide Regulation for reimbursement up to a maximum of $7,632 for Pesticide Application Reporting.
b. Resolution authorizing the Placer County Agricultural Commissioner/Sealer to sign contract #08-0882 with the California Department of Food and Agriculture allowing for reimbursement from the State for up to $7,391 for costs associated with detection trapping of the Light Brown Apple Moth in Placer County.
15. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS:
a. Approve 6-month Contract for Services for District 2 Web Page maintenance and other general administrative assistance with contractor Lyndell Grey in the amount $10,221.56.
b. Approve 10-day extension of District Aide Employment Agreement with Robert Haswell for general administrative and technical assistance to the District 5 Supervisor at additional salary of $1,924 plus benefits.
c. Approve 6-month District Aide Employment Agreement with Pat Malberg for general administrative and technical assistance to the District 5 Supervisor at a base annual salary of $31,252 plus benefits.
d. Approve contract with John Thacker to provide secretarial services to the Granite Bay Municipal Advisory Council.
16. CLAIMS AGAINST THE COUNTY – Reject the following claims, as recommended by Counsel:
a. 09-047, Rodgers, James, $9,999, (Personal Injury)
b. 09-052, Troy Scott’s Custom Grading, Inc., $4,017.86, (Property Damage)
17. COMMITTEES & COMMISSIONS:
a. Building Appeals Board – Approve reappointment of David Saydak to Seat 4 as requested by Supervisor Uhler.
18. COUNTY CLERK/ELECTIONS/RECORDER - Approve the request of the City of Rocklin for a Special Election and Authorize the Placer County Clerk-Recorder-Registrar of Voters to Render Reimbursed Election Services for the Special Election to be held August 25, 2009.
19. FACILITY SERVICES:
a. Sewer Maintenance District #1 - Approve a Resolution entering into a reimbursement agreement for sewer improvements in Sewer Maintenance District 1 with John J. and Theresa M. Lynott, APN 052-143-028, and authorize the Chairman to execute the agreement.
b. Sewer Maintenance District #3 - Authorize the Director of Facility Services or his designee to pay assessed fines not to exceed $57,000 for permit violations at the Sewer Maintenance District 3 Wastewater Treatment Plant (Plant 3).
c. Sewer Maintenance District #1 - Ratify emergency purchase of chemicals used at the County’s wastewater treatment plants from CalChem in the amount of $9,998.51.
20. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES:
a. Administrative Services/Encryption Software - Take the following actions to purchase encryption software to allow Placer County to comply with Federal and State computer security safeguards and system security control requirements:
a. Authorize the Director of Health and Human Services and Director of Administrative Services to negotiate a contract with Allied Network Solutions, Inc. for a total amount not to exceed $168,000, and
b. Approve the award of a contract with Allied Network Solutions, Inc. using a competitively bid public agency contract through the State of California, Department of General Services, and authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign the resulting contract for the period from June 9, 2009 through June 30, 2010 contingent upon review and approval by Risk Management and County Counsel, and
c. Approve a Budget Revision in the amount of $141,000, and
d. Add the software system in the amount of $141,000 to the Master Fixed Asset List.
This purchase is funded solely by Federal and State revenues. These costs are included in the Department’s FY 2008-09 Final Budget. No County General Fund contribution is required.
b. Adult System of Care/Maidu Community Center – Adopt a Resolution endorsing and commending the Maidu Community Center for its designation as a Focal Point for senior services in Placer County.
c. Children’s System of Care/Contracts/Psychiatric Services - Approve two contract employee agreements to provide psychiatric services in the Children’s System of Care:
a. An agreement with Mai Nguyen, M.D. from July 1, 2009 through June 30, 2010 with direct compensation of $150,881 for a total compensation package of $176,333,
b. An agreement with Robert Karsh, M.D. from July 1, 2009 through June 30, 2010 with direct compensation of $153,296 for a total compensation package of $180,801, and
c. Authorize the Chairman to sign subsequent amendments up to 10 percent of the original contract amounts.
Total compensation for the two contracts of $357,134 represents a 4% increase over the prior term due to a reassignment of on-call hours. The combined General Fund contribution for these contracts is $132,303. These costs are included in the Department’s FY 2009-10 Proposed Budget.
d. Animal Services/Umbrella Contract/Emergency Veterinary Services - Approve a maximum payment authorization (“umbrella contract”) with various veterinary providers for emergency veterinary services in an amount not to exceed $25,000 for FY 2009-10, and authorize the Director of Health and Human Services to amend the list of providers as necessary. These mandated services are funded with County General Funds (90 percent) and reimbursements from cities and individuals (10 percent). These costs are included in the Department’s FY 2009-10 Proposed Budget.
e. Community Health and Clinics/Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 - Request the Board to take the following actions:
a. Adopt a Resolution declaring the County of Placer to be a Hybrid Entity for purposes of compliance with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), and
b. Adopt a Resolution authorizing the Director of Health and Human Services to appoint a HIPAA Privacy Officer and Security Officer.
There is no fiscal impact to the County General Fund as a result of these actions.
f. Human Services/Welfare Case Data System Management - Approve an agreement with the California State Association of Counties to act as the fiscal agent and provide management for the Welfare Case Data Systems consortium from July 1, 2009 through June 30, 2010 in the amount of $41,296, and authorize the Director of Health and Human Services to sign the agreement and subsequent amendments up to 10 percent of the contract amount. There are no County General Funds in this contract and these costs are included in the Department’s FY 2009-10 Proposed Budget.
21. LIBRARY - Approve the closure of all branches of the Placer County Library from Friday, July 3 through Monday, July 6, 2009, and approve the closure of all branches not later than 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, November 25, 2009, and Thursday, December 31, 2009.
22. PROBATION - Approve an agreement for the period of July 1, 2009 through June 30, 2010, for the purpose of obtaining bed space with the County of Solano for court ordered placement of juvenile wards at the Fouts Spring juvenile facility at the rate of $4,200 per month, on a space available basis.
23. PROCUREMENT SERVICES - In accordance with County Policy, non-contested competitively awarded bids under $250,000 are placed on the Consent Agenda. Authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign the following:
a. Competitive Bid #9884/Safety Supplies/Countywide & Emergency Services - Award to Extreme Safety, Empire Safety & Supply, and Mallory Fire, in the maximum aggregate amount of $180,000.
b. Master Lease Agreements/Administrative Services/Information Technology - Extend the Authority to use the existing master lease agreements with Dell Computer Corporation and Hewlett-Packard Company through September 30, 2012.
c. Agreement/Delinquent Court-Ordered Fines, Forfeitures, Penalties & County Fees/Administrative Services, Revenue Services - Approve an Agreement Using a Competitively Bid Public Agency Contract through the Judicial Council of California, Administrative Office of the Courts with Access Capital Services, Inc., to collect on Delinquent Court-Ordered Fines, Forfeitures, Penalties and County Fees.
24. PUBLIC WORKS:
a. Willow Creek Drive Extension – Resolution accepting the Willow Creek Drive Extension from Highway 49 to First Street into the County Maintained Mileage System.
b. Avalanche Control/Alpine Meadows Road – Resolution approving the Alpine Meadows Road Avalanche Control Agreement with Alpine Sierra Ventures, LLC, in an amount of $45,000 and authorize the Chairman to sign and execute the agreement.
25. REVENUE SHARING – In approving the following appropriations, the Placer County Board of Supervisors makes the finding that each and every approved contribution serves a public purpose by promoting the general welfare of the County and its inhabitants; therefore, the County benefits.
a. Approve appropriation of $200 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Auburn Symphony to benefit the Senior Outreach and Youth Concert programs, as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
26. TREASURER/TAX COLLECTOR - Approve a discharge of accountability for unsecured property tax assessments within the years 1981 through 2008 in accordance with the provisions of Section 2923 of the California Revenue and Taxation code.
***End of Consent Agenda***
ITEMS FOR INFORMATION:
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ 2009 MEETING SCHEDULE:
June 23, 2009
July 7, 2009
July 20, 2009 (Tahoe)
July 21, 2009 (Tahoe)
August 4, 2009
August 13, 2009 (Budget)
August 14, 2009 (Budget)
August 25, 2009