Skip to content

Passport Information

Ryan Ronco, County Clerk-Recorder-Registrar of Voters

Clerk-Recorder Office
2954 Richardson Drive
Auburn, CA 95603
(530) 886-5600
Fax: (530) 886-5687

Placer County Passport Processing Hours Monday - Friday 8AM - 3PM

An appointment is required for processing passport applications.

A separate appointment is required for processing each individual passport application

Schedule Passport Appointment



Low cost passport photos taken on site for $7.78 including tax.

The Placer County Clerk-Recorder's office is a passport acceptance agency. Our office will accept and verify all the information needed, collect the necessary fees, pictures and forms, and forward them to the Passport Agency. Your passport will be mailed directly to you from the Passport Agency.

Definition of a Passport
A passport is an internationally recognized travel document attesting to the identity and nationality of the bearer. A passport indicates that its bearer is entitled to receive the protection and assistance of the diplomatic and consular officer of their country while abroad. In essence, it is a request on the part of the issuing government that officials of foreign governments permit the bearer to travel or sojourn (take temporary residence) in their territories and afford them all lawful aid and protection.

PASSPORT CARD - The U.S. Department of State is now issuing a passport card (in addition to the passport book) which is a less expensive, smaller, and a more convenient alternative for travel by land and sea, between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean only. Please Note: This card is NOT valid for travel by air.

PASSPORT BOOK - Remains the same and continues to be valid for all travel by air, sea or land.

Please Note: Customers will now have the option to apply for a passport book, a passport card, or both on the DS 11.

Who can get a U.S. Passport
A U.S. passport may be issued to a citizen or national of the United States

A person who is not a U.S. citizen or national should apply for documentation to a representative of the country in which that person is a citizen and should contact the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service for requirements to re-enter the United States.

Unless specifically authorized by a passport issuing office, no person may have more than one valid, or potentially valid, U.S. passport of the same type at any one time.

All U.S. citizens desiring a passport must obtain individual passports in their own names (including children).

All applicants must appear in person. This includes all minor children. This change is made to further prevent international parental child abduction. The new DS 11, must be executed by both parents or legal guardian(s) of the child. If both parents or legal guardian of a child under 16 years of age are unable to appear, the appearing parent may submit a notarized form DS 3053 that has been completed and signed by the non-appearing parent, in addition to a photocopy of the identification presented to the notary public.

Information Needed for the Passport Application: All applicants must appear in person. This includes children.

  • Name of Applicant (Passport Bearer)
  • Mailing Address
  • Date of Birth/Place of Birth/Sex
  • Social Security Number
  • Height (feet and inches)
  • Description of yourself (color of hair, eyes, etc.)
  • Phone Numbers
  • Permanent Address
  • Occupation
  • Birth date and birth place of parents of applicant.
  • Proposed Travel Plans (an accurate departure date is important)
  • Marriage Information
  • Emergency Notification (Not mandatory)
  • Other Names Used (if applicable)

With Each Passport Application Please Bring the Following:

  • Two (2) identical color passport photographs (2" x 2" size) taken within the last six months.
  • Certified copy of birth certificate issued by County/State, or Original Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship. A California Abstract of Birth is not acceptable.
  • A check or money order for the appropriate fees.
  • A valid picture identification such as a driver's license, military ID, or expired passport (an expired license or interim driver's license is not acceptable).

U.S. Department of State Fee:
Must be a check or money order (cash or credit card cannot be accepted for this fee).

Passport Book  Validity   Passport Card Validity 
Adults 16 and over: $110 10 Years $30 10 Years
Minor 15 and Under: $80 5 Years $15 5 Years
Expedite Service for Processing - $60.00 Fee per person no matter the age.
Expedite Service for Return Mail - *$15.89 Fee per person no matter the age.

To include expedite processing or expedite mailing fees, increase your check payable to U.S. Department of State for the appropriate amount.

Placer County Clerk Fee: Passport Processing Monday - Friday 8AM - 3PM


May be paid by check, cash, or credit/debit card (credit/debit card use is available until 3:00 PM daily and requires a $7.00 additional service fee). If applying for both passport book and passport card at the same time, only one $25.00 processing fee will be charged.

Passport Book Passport Card
Adults and Minors: $25.00 $25.00

Passport Photos - $7.25 plus tax for a set of two passport sized photos

Passport Processing Time
Routine processing - 6 to 8 weeks.
Expedite Processing - 2 to 3 weeks. Fee is $60.00 per application. When expediting, to shorten the mailing time, you may pay an additional $15.89 per application to expedite the return mail process.
If traveling within 2 weeks, you will need to call toll free number 1 (877) 487-2778, make an appointment and apply in person in San Francisco.

New Passport Forms Available at    

National Passport Information Center
Toll Free # 877-487-2778 (900) 225-5674
(900) 225-7778 - TDD
With credit card:
(888) 362-8668
(888) 498-3648 - TDD
24 hour automated service
Internet address:

The Bureau of Consular Affairs publishes a series of travel information booklets called "Tips for Travelers." Single copies of these booklets are for sale for $1.00 from the Superintendent of Documents, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C. 20402: (202) 512-1800.