Skip to content

Frequently Asked Questions

Adult-Alternative Sentencing

The Court said I could apply for alternative sentencing, where do I go?

Generally, to apply for alternative sentencing you must report to the

South Placer Justice Center
10810 Justice Center Dr. Suite 170,
Roseville CA 95678

How do I set up my alternative sentencing appointment with Probation?

We do not have appointments; interviews are conducted on a first-come, first-serve basis. Our program interviews take place between 8:00 am and 10:30 am and 1:00 pm and 3:30 pm.

I have a question regarding alternative sentencing and I could not find the answer on this site.

Please contact us directly at (916) 543-7400; unless you applying for alternative sentencing in Tahoe.

What do I need to do to apply for alternative sentencing?

You must complete an Alternative Sentencing Application which can be downloaded from this site or picked up at the front desk upon arrival.

What do I need to bring to the office?

Bring a Picture ID, copies of your court order and the application fee.

How much does the program cost?

There is a $25.00 application fee which can be paid up front or added to your bill with Revenue Services. The cost of the program(s) is $20 a day.

What if I cannot afford the program fees?

You will not be denied from participating in the alternative sentencing based on your ability to pay. Your ability to pay is determined by Revenue Services. You must complete and submit an Application for Financial Evaluation to Determine Eligibility for Court-Appointed Counsel and Ability to Pay Fees form.

If I miss my turn in date, what should I do?

Report to the Probation department and we will work with you to resolve this issue.

How do I know which program I will be assigned too?

It is up the Probation Officer to determine which program fits your needs.

When will the alternative sentencing program start?

Generally, EMP can start the same day you apply. If you are assigned to Work Release; you will be assigned a job site and given a start date and time.

What happens if I am denied alternative sentencing?

Applicants who are denied alternative sentencing have the right to appeal. Appeals must be submitted in writing to alternative sentencing unit supervisor. The applicant shall have the right to personally appear before the supervisor to present any materials in support of the appeal. The supervisor will make a written determination within ten (10) days and mail it to the applicants last known address. If you are denied alternative sentencing you may reapply after turning yourself in to the jail.

What happens if I do not live in Placer County?

Probation has reciprocal agreements with most other counties. If there is not an agreement, Probation will provide a list of private companies, which must be pre-approved.

Can I use Medical Marijuana while on the program?

No, Medical Marijuana use is not allowed on any Alternative Sentencing Program.

Adult-Drug Court/Track III

Is Drug Court and Track III the same program?

Yes, they are the same program.

Is Drug Court part of alternative sentencing.

Yes, Drug Court is an alternative sentencing program. Successful completion of the program is successful completion of your jail commitment.

I'm on Prop 36 or failed Prop 36 in the past can I do Drug Court?

Yes, Currently on Prop 36 or have failed Prop 36 does not rule you out of Drug Court.

Is Drug Court free?

No, but an assessment of ability to pay is completed to determine the cost of treatment.

Do I have to live in Placer County?

Yes, and you must live in Placer County during the duration of the Drug Court program.

How long is the Drug Court Program?

It is a 9-18 month program depending on the individuals needs.

How many times do I go to outpatient treatment?

An assessment is completed by a treatment provider to determine the level of treatment?

How long is actual treatment?

6-9 months depending on individuals need.

How often to I drug test?

Three times a week for the duration of the program.

Can I have a proposition 215 (marijuana) Card?

No, using marijuana will violate program rules.

Can I have alcohol in my possession and drink alcohol on Drug Court?

No, because it has potential for abuse.

What are “self helps”?

Primarily they are AA and NA meeting in the community.

Can I work/go to school while on Drug Court?

Yes, as long as it doesn’t interfere with treatment. Many clients have done all three and been successful.


How do I contact the Court Clerk’s Office for Juvenile Court/Department 12?

The Juvenile Court Clerk can be reached between the hours of
8 a.m.-12p.m. and 1 p.m.-3 p.m. Monday through Friday.
11270 B Avenue Auburn, CA 95603

If I am a divorced parent, and my child’s mother/father wants to visit as well, how long will the visit last?

If both parents visit on the same date but do not want to visit the minor together, each visit will be one hour a week.

Can my child’s stepparent visit at the Juvenile Detention Facility?

A minor’s natural parents have precedence for visiting. A stepparent may visit only with the Juvenile Detention Facility Supervising Probation Officer’s authority and permission.

Can my child have his/her homework and books from school during their incarceration at the Juvenile Detention Facility?

Homework and school books may be brought in for a minor to work on and use while incarcerated. However, it will be entirely up to your child to work on this homework during their dayroom hours. Outside homework and school books will not take the place of the regular school curriculum scheduled at the Juvenile Detention Facility.

Can I mail my child letters while they are in the Juvenile Detention Facility?

All incoming mail to minors should be addressed as follows:

[Minor’s Name]
c/o Placer County Juvenile Detention Facility
2929 Richardson Drive, suite B
Auburn, CA 95603

If I mail my child a letter, is it read and inspected before it is given to him/her?

Incoming mail will be opened and inspected for contraband. On occasion, probation staff may read mail for safety and security purposes.

Can I send my child photographs at the Juvenile Detention Facility?

Photographs will be accepted for an incarcerated minor, given to the minor dependent on their progress within the facility. These photographs must not contain material related to or insinuating sexual activities or lewdness, the use of drugs or alcohol, violence, or gang related activities. Pictures that violate this policy will be withheld and placed in the minor’s property bag. Photos must be printed on regular photo paper.

Can I send my child packages at the Juvenile Detention Facility?

No packages of any kind will be accepted by the Juvenile Detention Facility. If it is suspected an article of mail contains items other than a letter, this mail will be withheld and returned to sender, or given to the minor’s Supervising Probation Officer for disbursal.

My child has never been involved in the Judicial System or had contact with law enforcement before. She/he is now acting incorrigible and acting out. Is there anything I can do?

Your child cannot be put in the Juvenile Detention Facility because of behavior problems. For assistance with a “beyond control” child, contact the Placer County Children's System of Care Program at (530) 889-6700 or the Crisis Resolution Center at (866) 251-7584.

Are counseling services available to my child while they are incarcerated in the Juvenile Detention Facility?

Yes, there is a full-time Mental Health Practitioner assigned to the Juvenile Detention Facility who offers counseling services and group counseling sessions.

My child has scheduled medical and dental appointments, as well as medical and dental conditions that need attention. Who can I contact regarding these problems?

There is full-time medical staff assigned to the Juvenile Detention Facility. They can be reached at (530) 886-4873.

Can my child make phone calls to me while they are incarcerated?

Upon a minor's detention at the Juvenile Detention Facility, they may make three phone calls to parent/guardian, attorney and/or employer. Minors are also able to complete phone calls to parents and/or legal guardians from a payphone, on a collect call basis only. Phone cards cannot be used.

Can my child write and send letters while incarcerated?

The Juvenile Detention Facility will pay the postage for two personal letters per week per minor. Minors may have self-adhesive stamps while in custody, which may be used to pay for postage on additional letters they choose to write and send.

Where are the Probation Department offices located?

Auburn Justice Center
2929 Richardson Drive Ste B
Auburn, CA 95603

Santucci Justice Center
10810 Justice Center Drive Ste 170
Roseville, CA 95678

Tahoe Office
7252 North Lake Blvd.
Tahoe Vista, CA 96148

Does the commitment or placement of my child outside of my home cost me any money?

Yes, the Welfare and Institutions Code provides that you can be charged for the costs of care and support of your child each day she, he is detained, committed to the Juvenile Detention Facility, placement, foster home or a Juvenile Ranch/Camp.

I received a bill from the Probation Department for the care and support costs of my child in Juvenile Detention Facility. Since I have joint custody of this child with my ex-spouse, do I only have to pay half the bill?

Under the Welfare and Institutions Code the father, mother, spouse, and other person are liable for support of a minor. The liability is joint and several liability. Both parents are responsible for the payment of this bill in its entirety, not just a portion due to child custody splits.

I can't afford the billing I received for the care and support costs of my child in the Juvenile Detention Facility. What can I do?

Contact Placer County Revenue Services Division to obtain a financial evaluation form and discuss the process. Payment plans may be set up if financial documents support it. This payment plan does not reduce the liability incurred.
Placer County Revenue Services Division,
10810 Justice Center Drive, Ste 100
Roseville, CA 95678

My child is on probation with a condition for search and seizure, can you search him/her 24 hours a day, even at a friend’s house?

Yes, your child can be searched at any time, anywhere. A probation officer or law enforcement officer can also search his/her room, home, vehicle, and space at his/her place of employment at anytime.

Tahoe Office

I have an alternative sentencing question; how do I contact someone in the Tahoe office?

Call the Main line for Information at Tahoe Probation 530-546-1960 on Work Release and EMP.

I live outside of Placer County near Tahoe; can I apply for alternative sentencing?

If the offender lives in a different County, they have to fill out an application with us first, and then once it is determined that they will qualify for our program, we will find a program for them to participate in.

I am going to apply for alternative sentencing through the Tahoe office; can I choose which program to participate in?

If you report to the Tahoe office and you have 10 days or less you will normally be referred to Work Release, and if you have more than 10 days it will be EMP.