Skip to content

General Information FAQs

By taking a few minutes to familiarize yourself with the information below you will be better informed about the job application, recruitment, selection, and hiring process with Placer County. You will also find helpful hints on:

How do I apply for a job?

Access the Online Employment Center to Apply for a job.

Is there a way to practice filling out and submitting an application online if I’m not ready to submit a “real” application?

By filling out the Application on File, you are able to maintain a master document that can be copied and modified when applying for different positions. Submitting this practice application will not enter you into any recruitment, but allows you to have an updated application template at hand for immediate use when there is a position for which you would like to apply.

What happens after I submit my application?

The Human Resources Department will screen your submitted application materials to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for the position. It is your responsibility to identify in your application materials how you meet the minimum qualifications stated in the job announcement. If it is determined that you meet the minimum qualifications, you will be invited to participate in a competitive examination process. The type of exam will be defined on the job announcement. Examinations may include a written exam, oral exam, training and experience rating, physical agility exam, a formal assessment center exam, or a combination of these. Please contact the Human Resources Department at least five working days before a scheduled examination if you require accommodation in the examination process. Medical disability verification may be required prior to accommodation.

Once the exams have been scored, you will be notified of your exam results and an Eligible List will be created. The Eligible List will include the names of all candidates successfully passing the required examinations in rank order. There may be a number of individuals in each rank. When a position becomes available in a department, the Human Resources Department provides the hiring department with a Certified Eligible List of all individuals in the top five ranks. As individuals are hired from the Eligible List, candidates in lower ranks may become eligible to be referred to a department if the upper ranks are cleared.

The hiring department will select people to interview from the Certified Eligible List based on a review of the specific position available, the needs of the department, and the job-related knowledge, skills and abilities of each individual, as determined by list placement and the information provided on the application materials submitted. The hiring department will contact you if you are selected for an interview. If you are contacted for an interview, please notify the department, prior to the interview, if you require accommodation in the hiring interview process.

How long will my name stay on the Eligible List?

Eligible lists shall remain in effect six months and may be extended by the Human Resources director for additional six-month periods, but in no event shall a list remain in effect for more than two years. When hired into a permanent position, your name will be removed from the Eligible List from which you were hired. The same is true for an Extra Help/Temporary position if the Eligible List was opened specifically to fill an Extra Help/Temporary opening. You will be notified by mail if you are on an Eligible List that has been abolished or expired.

What is a “Substitute List” and when is it used?

An Eligible List may be certified as a substitute list for positions which perform similar duties but are filled with different classifications. For this purpose, a similar classification is one at a lower level in the same class series or one in which the type and scope of duties performed, as well as the minimum training and experience required are substantially similar. If you are contacted for an interview by a County department, you will be informed of the classification and other relevant information. If you choose not to interview for a similar classification, you will remain on the Eligible List for which you originally applied.

How do I qualify for Veteran’s Preference?

Please refer to the following Veteran's Preference page.

I’ve been offered a job with Placer County. What happens next?

For permanent positions and many Extra Help/Temporary positions, before the date of hire, your employment is contingent upon passing a medical examination. This may include drug screening and possibly a psychological evaluation, signing a constitutional oath, and submitting proof of U.S. Citizenship or legal right to remain and work in the U.S. Depending on the position, you may also be required to submit proof of age, undergo a background check, be bonded, and/or be fingerprinted. If you are currently employed it is recommended that you NOT quit your current job until you have successfully cleared the medical examination.

I currently work for another public agency. Is there a way I can transfer to Placer County?

Placer County offers an expedited process for qualifying certain applicants for departmental hiring interviews. Candidates currently employed, or employed within the last year, by a public agency operating under a personnel civil service or merit system may be eligible to be placed on a Public Agency Eligible List (PAEL) and certified as eligible for appointment to a substantially similar job assignment without going through the examination process. For more information regarding the PAEL program, and to download required forms, please visit and select the Employees of Other Public Agencies.

I am a Placer County employee in my initial probationary phase. Can I apply for promotional recruitments?

Employees hired into permanent benefitted allocations may apply for "promotional only" recruitments once they have completed their initial probationary period (typically 12-18 months).

Extra-help employees (non-permanent, non-benefitted positions working a maximum of 1000 hours per fiscal year) are not eligible for promotional-only recruitments.

I’m a Placer County Employee. Is there a way to sign up to transfer to another department within Placer County?

Yes. You can request your name be certified to departments seeking to fill vacancies by completing an application found in the Special Appointments link listed under Employment Opportunities on our website Your request will be reviewed and if you meet the criteria for a transfer or a voluntary demotion, your name will be referred when the requesting department receives a certified eligible list.

I used to work for Placer County. Can I be reinstated?

The Human Resources director may permit a permanent employee who has resigned, or voluntarily demoted, both in good standing and with a good record, to be reinstated within five years to his or her former position, if vacant, or a vacant position in a comparable or lower class with equivalent minimum qualifications. For full details regarding reinstatements, please review Chapter 3, Section 3.08.1150 of the County Code which may be accessed at this address: You can request your name be certified to departments seeking to fill vacancies by completing an application found in the Special Appointments link listed under Employment Opportunities on our website Your request will be reviewed and if you meet the criteria for reinstatement, you will be notified by email and your name will be referred when the requesting department receives a certified eligible list of names.

My contact information has changed. How do I let you know?

You may update contact information for all of your online applications by clicking on the button Update My Contact Info. Enter your UserID and Password and then modify your contact information. This new contact information will be updated for ALL of your applications.

To update contact information for paper applications, you must contact the Placer county Human Resources Department by calling 530-886-4607 or by sending email to

How is Extra Help employment different than permanent employment?

Extra Help positions are temporary (part or full time) positions set for a maximum of 1000 hours for a fiscal year. There is no accrual of seniority or benefits, such as sick leave, or health insurance. Extra Help employees are not eligible to apply for Promotional recruitments.

I’m going on vacation/military service/leave for a period of time and won’t be available to interview. How does that affect my standing on the list?

You can request that your name be coded so that it will not be included on certification lists during the time period you designate. Please contact our offices via email at to make this request. Be sure to include the starting date that you wish to be excluded from certification and when you would like to be added back to the list.

I don’t want to participate in the recruitment any more. How do I get off the list?

You may indicate, in writing, that you wish to be removed from further participation in the recruitment and your name will be removed from the eligible list. This may be done via email at

Do I have to take a drug test?

When approval is granted to fill vacant positions, it will be determined, based on classification/assignment whether or not a drug screen will be required. Your hiring department will inform you if this is a requirement for the position you will be filling at the time that they set up your pre-employment medical exams.

I have a t-Score from a previous test or different agency. Can I submit this in lieu of re-testing?

In order for a t-Score from a previous test to be used in lieu of re-testing, the following conditions must be met: (1) You must notify the Human Resources Department that you wish to use a previously earned t-Score prior to the scheduled exam date; (2) The score must be from the same standardized exam that is being used for the current recruitment; (3) The t-Score must be less than six months old.

Can I change the departments I want my name to go to?

Yes, you may update, in writing, the departments to which you would like your name certified (provided such designation was a part of the recruitment).

What am I required to report when asked about any prior convictions?

Conviction for a crime is not necessarily a bar to employment. Each case is considered separately based on job requirements. You may omit: (1) Minor traffic violations; (2) Any offense committed prior to your 18th birthday which was finally adjudicated in a Juvenile Court of under a youth offender law; (3) Any incident sealed under Welfare & Institutions Code #781 or Penal Code #1203.45; (4) Any offenses committed under Health & Safety Codes 11357(b) or (c); 11360(c); 11364, 11365 or 11550 as related to marijuana prior to 01/01/1976 or any other convictions mentioned in Labor Code § 432.8.

Does Placer County use any Temporary Employment Agencies?

Placer County does not make regular use of outside temporary agencies, but does recruit to create a pool of extra-help clerical staff. Those wishing to work as a Temporary Office Assistant may submit an application for this classification via the link on our Employment Opportunities page at when the recruitment for this class is open. If we are not currently recruiting for this classification you may submit an interest card to be notified when we are again accepting applications. This temporary class is distinguished from the clerical series in that positions are filled on an intermittent basis and limited to 1000 hours per fiscal year. Employment in this class is temporary in nature and therefore not eligible for County benefits. No permanent appointments to the Classified Service will be made in this classification.

I currently contribute to PERS. How will a move to Placer County affect my contributions/retirement?

Please contact the Human Resources Department at 530-889-4060 and ask to speak to a Benefits representative.

Will I have to go through a background check?

Some positions will require a background check be completed and passed as a condition of employment. This requirement will be stated in the job announcement and discussed with you when you meet with the hiring department.

When do I need a document cover sheet?

You will need to use a document cover sheet when you wish to submit additional materials, whether with your application or at a later date. Only one type of document may be submitted with each document cover sheet.

What if I’m interested in a job you’re not currently recruiting for?

If you would like to be notified when we are accepting applications for a position not currently listed on our Employment Opportunities page, please submit an interest card by clicking on the Job Descriptions and Alerts link near the top of the page.

  • Search the list of utilized job titles.

  • Click on a job(s) that interests you.

  • If you decide that you wish to be notified, click on "Notify Me when a Job Opens for the above position(s)."

  • Enter a valid email address and click next. Click ‘Subscribe’ on the subsequent screen to confirm.

  • Remember to register for a new notice if you have a change of email address

How do I find job specifications for the different positions?

Click on the Classifications and Salary link at the top of the Employment Opportunities page.

How do I find out how much a job pays?

Salary information can be accessed by clicking on the Classifications and Salary link at the top of the Employment Opportunities page.

Can I apply for multiple jobs by submitting just one application?

No. A separate application must be submitted for each position for which you wish to be considered. You may, though, use your Application on File as a master document to copy and modify for a new application.

How do I apply for accommodation during testing due to a disability or religious beliefs?

Once you have received notification that you are qualified for the recruitment and have been scheduled for an examination date, please contact the Human Resources Department at, or by phone at 530-886-4607, at least 5 working days before the scheduled examination if you require accommodation in the examination process. Medical disability verification may be required prior to accommodation.

Can experience be substituted for education in the area of minimum qualifications?

Relevant, equivalent experience (performing the same or similar job requiring similar knowledge, skills, and abilities) may be substituted for the required education as determined by the Human Resources Department.

What kind of tests will I be given/How can I prepare for the exams?

Exam formats will be described on the job announcement. For certain recruitments (i.e., law enforcement) you may also receive information either on the job bulletin or on your exam notice that includes online study guides. For all other recruitments, refer to the "knowledge of" and "ability to" sections of the bulletin, which identify the essential job requirements that may be included in the exam process.

I’m having a problem getting this to work on my computer. Who can assist me?

You may receive assistance while completing you application by emailing our department at or by calling 530-886-4607.

Can I submit a copy of my degree from a foreign college or university?

Applicants receiving their degree outside the must submit proof of accreditation by a recognized evaluation agency.

Can I get extra pay for being bi-lingual?

If your position is designated as one which requires language proficiency skills as a regular part of your job, you may be eligible for additional pay. Additional information will be provided at time of hire, or if you are a current employee, may be obtained via your supervisor and/or department Human Resources representative.

Thank you for your interest in employment with Placer County!