Substance Abuse Prevention and Services
This program aims to prevent substance abuse and its related consequences by empowering community, families and individuals to adopt healthy behaviors.
We partner with community-based organizations, businesses, schools, faith communities, neighborhoods, parents, and lay citizens to:
- Access community conditions and norms that contribute to onset of alcohol and drug abuse.
- Work collaboratively identifying the best strategies to reduce substance abuse.
- Partner in implementation and evaluation.
- Provide prevention information to individuals and organizations.
- Engage the community, both youth and adults, in substance abuse prevention efforts.
Friday Night Live
- FNL programs build partnerships for positive and healthy youth development, which engage youth as active leaders and resources in their communities while building skills in a fun and safe environment.
What are Developmental Assets?
- Developmental Assets are the building blocks for healthy development that help youth grow up healthy, caring and responsible. Search Institute has identified 40 assets that strengthen youth – these assets have tremendous power to protect young people from harmful choices and encourage healthy ones.
- The 40 assets are not revolutionary or complicated and they apply to all kids, not just children at risk.
- They’re also powerful. Research shows that the more assets young people have, no matter what their background or socioeconomic level, the more likely they’ll be self-confident and do well in school; the less likely they’ll engage in dangerous or detrimental behavior.
Everyone can build assets, take a second and make a difference
- Greet the kids in your neighborhood by name.
- Smile at teenagers without expecting it to be returned.
- Ask youth for their opinions; include youth voices in family and community decisions.
- Recognize a child’s positive qualities – let the child know you notice.
- Be aware of how powerful a role model you are (children do what you do, not what you say).
- Kara Sutter: 530-889-7179
- Tahoe/Truckee - River Coyote: 530-546-1924