Skip to content

Sewer Services

For sewer emergencies, call 530-889-7515

Learn what you can do to Live Sewer Smart.

In cooperation with the cities of Auburn, Lincoln, and Roseville, we strive to protect the environment, and to provide the best sewer services possible. Learn how to Live Sewer Smart by properly disposing of Fats, Oils & Grease (FOG), unused medications, and Household Hazardous Waste (HHW).

To determine if you live in a county sewer district, please check our sewer district locator map. Residents of cities and privately maintained sewer systems should contact their local sewer service provider.

Sewer services provided by Placer County include the operation and maintenance of 5 wastewater treatment facilities, 44 sewer pump stations, almost 300 miles of sewer pipe, and over 450 Septic Tank Effluent Pump (STEP) systems.

Learn more about Placer County sewer construction projects 

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

How do I dispose of my kitchen Fats, Oils, and Grease (FOG)?

Free Doorstep Pick-up - The Cities of Roseville, Auburn, and Lincoln, South Placer Municipal Utilities District (SPMUD) and Recology Auburn Placer provide free FOG pick-up services. Call to schedule a pickup time:

  • City of Roseville Customers - 916-774-5780  
  • SPMUD Customers (Rocklin, Loomis, Penryn and Newcastle) - 916-786-8212
  • Recology Auburn Placer Customers (City of Auburn and surrounding areas) - 530-885-3735

Free Drop-off Locations

Western Placer Waste Management Authority (All Placer County residents) - 916-543-3960
Recology Auburn Placer (City of Auburn and Placer County Unincorporated Area) - 530-885-3735

How do I save my Fats, Oils, and Grease (FOG)?

  1. All cooking fats, oils, and grease should be allowed to cool to room temperature.
  2. Place cooled fats, oils, and grease in a clear plastic container with a screw on lid. all containers should be clearly marked "food grease" on the outside of the container. Containers that are not marked, or contain garbage or other material, will not be accepted in either the doorstep pick-up program or at the Western Placer Waste Management Authority facility.
  3. Containers should only contain cooking related fats, oils, and grease and no other material such as food scraps, water or garbage.

How much of the sewer line must I maintain and repair?

Placer County Code requires property owners to be responsible for the maintenance and repair of all sewer lines within buildings and the service line that connects the building to the county sewer mainline.  A property owner's guide to sewer responsibility has been created to provide clarification.

Sewer System Management Plan

The State Water Resources Control Board (SWRCB) requires public agencies that own or operate sanitary sewer systems to develop and implement a Sewer System Management Plan (SSMP) to reduce the potential for overflows. Agencies are required to report all overflows to the SWRCB public online database.

Environmental Engineering has developed an SSMP, with plans to minimize sewage spills and measures to effectively clean them up and report them, for each sewer system that we operate.

Contact Information

For general sewer information call 530-889-6846

For sewer emergencies call 530-889-7515

For other non-emergency questions, email us at