Skip to content

Encroachment Permit

An Encroachment Permit is required for any work within a Placer County maintained highway easement, or right-of-way. Examples of work requiring an encroachment permit are a residential driveway connection, placing a utility line (water, sewer, stormwater pipe, gas, cable, etc.) under the road or within the road shoulder, using the County road for a special event, or doing any work within a County road easement.

Encroachment Permit Types

Types of Encroachment Permits processed at the Community Development Resource Center front counter are:

  • Residential driveway
  • Traffic control
  • Minor utility work
  • Recordable permits for improvements located within the right-of-way
  • Special events
  • Parking permits

The Department of Public Works and Facilities (DPWF) conditions these permits and inspects the work prior to permit sign-off.

Applicants should apply directly in person at either the Auburn or Tahoe City office Front Counter locations.

Utility Encroachment Permit

Plans for utility undergrounding projects (water, sewer, gas, cable, etc.) within the County right-of-way are reviewed by the Engineering and Surveying Division (ESD), with the utility company or applicant paying for at-cost review and inspection services to the County and the ESD issuing the Utility Encroachment Permit after DPWF approval.

To apply, a completed Utility Encroachment Permit Application, a completed Project Data Sheet and 5 copies of plans for the proposed work shall be submitted directly to the ESD, Auburn office (regardless of project location within Placer County). Applications may be sent to Rich Kai, Engineering and Surveying Division, 3091 County Center Drive, Suite 120, Auburn, CA 95603.