Licensing & Fees
***Beginning on July 1, 2018, PetData will no longer be providing licensing services for pets living in Placer County Animal Services jurisdictions. Please license your pets using one of the new methods outlined below. Feel free to contact us if you have any questions at 530-886-5542 or email@example.com. ***
- 1 YR / 2 YR / 3 YR License Term
- $44 / $87 / $112 Unaltered Dog
- $22 / $44 / $50 Altered Dog
- $11 Unaltered Cat (Voluntary)
- $5 Altered Cat (Voluntary)
- $11 Late Fee (30 Days Late)
- $7 Replacement for Lost Tag (Renewals Only)
- $7 Upgrade to New Digital Tag (Renewals Only)
- Link to Animal Services Fees
Placer County license fees are an investment in the health and safety of our pets. These small fees also assist Placer County Animal Services in supporting the 2,000 dogs, cats, and other animals that enter our shelter every year. Other services funded by pet licensing include:
- Rescue of stray, sick and injured animals
- Investigation of animal neglect or cruelty
- Spay/neuter programs that help reduce animal over-population
- Community education services
- Adoption services to find new homes for lost, abandoned and unwanted animals
HOW DO I PURCHASE OR RENEW MY PET LICENSE?
ONLINE: Complete the Online Licensing Form for new and renewal pet licenses. Required documentation may be uploaded online or submitted later by email (firstname.lastname@example.org), mail or in-person. Multiple pets can be licensed in one transaction.
BY MAIL: Complete the Animal License Application. Complete one application for each pet being licensed. Enclose proof of rabies vaccination and spay/neuter (if applicable) with application.
IN PERSON: Bring proof of rabies vaccination and spay/neuter (if applicable) to Placer County Animal Services at 11232 B Avenue, Auburn, CA 95603. Licensing hours are Monday through Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Proof of rabies vaccination is required for all pet licenses. Licenses can be purchased for one, two and three year periods (best value) depending on your rabies vaccination date.
- If purchasing a discounted license for an altered pet, you must submit proof of spay/neuter with your license application or renewal.
- If you move in to Placer County or obtain a new dog, the dog must be licensed within 30 days. Licenses are not transferable between owners or from other jurisdictions.
The city limits of Auburn, Roseville and Rocklin handle their own animal licensing and animal control enforcement. Contact your local city government for licensing details if you live in one of those cities.
WHY SHOULD I LICENSE MY PET?
Even though dog licenses are required for all Placer County dogs ages 4 months and older by law, there are many other benefits to licensing your pet.
- If your dog is ever missing, a license tag provides a quick and accurate way of notifying you if someone else finds your pet. It also provides proof that your dog has been vaccinated against rabies.
- Animals found wearing identification are more likely to find their way home than animals without. Animal Services will contact you by phone or mail if your pet comes to the shelter wearing a valid license.
- With our new PetHub Digital License tags, your pet will have a much better chance of being reunited with you without ever having to enter the shelter.
- Animals at the shelter wearing identification are held longer and the shelter staff makes every attempt to contact and reunite the owner with the animal.
PETHUB LICENSE TAGS
Placer County Animal Services is working with PetHub.com to provide new Digital License Tags for all new licenses or renewal licenses that are upgraded. What does that mean for you and your pet? In addition to the shelter having information to return your lost pet to you, you will have access to additional free services through Pethub.com to help reunite your pet if they become lost. Go to PetHub’s website for more information. Already have the new license tag? Register it now to have access to all of the free benefits!