COUNTY OF PLACER
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 7, 2006
Bill Santucci, District 1, Chairman Thomas Miller, County Executive
Robert Weygandt, District 2, Anthony J. La Bouff, County Counsel
Jim Holmes, District 3 Rich Colwell, Chief Assistant County Executive
Edward “Ted” M. Gaines, District 4 Mike Boyle, Assistant County Executive
Bruce Kranz, District 5, Vice Chair Holly Heinzen, Assistant County Executive
Ann Holman, Clerk of the Board
County Administrative Center, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, CA 95603
FLAG SALUTE – Led by Rich Colwell, Chief Assistant County Executive.
STATEMENT OF MEETING PROCEDURES - Read by Clerk.
PUBLIC COMMENT - Rosemary Frieborn, Friends of Placer County Animal Shelters, questioned why Animal Control staff did not attend the seminar that was funded by her organization. She asked the Board to appropriate emergency funding to send staff to upcoming seminars. Michael Murphy, Libertarian Party, requested a spreadsheet of issues and how each supervisor voted be provided on the County website. Kathy Martinis, Auditor-Controller, provided the Placer County 2005 Citizens' Report, a summary of financial and economic conditions in Placer County. Michelle Buhan, Friends of Placer County Animal Shelters, asked Supervisor Holmes if changes had been made to the recording of animal services. Supervisor Holmes advised County Executive Office has established a committee to look into that. Rich Colwell, Chief Assistant County Executive, stated the County Executive has set in place a comprehensive effort to review management of Animal Control and discussions with various jurisdictions and non-profit organizations. He said staff did not attend the seminar because management did not have enough time to review issues of due diligence, liability, staff expenses and shift coverage.
SUPERVISOR’S COMMITTEE REPORTS – Chairman Santucci and Supervisor Holmes thanked Commander Rick Ward, Newcastle California Highway Patrol, for inviting the Supervisors to participate in a patrol car or airplane ride along.
CONSENT AGENDA - Item #13 moved for discussion. Consent agenda approved as amended with action as indicated. MOTION Holmes/Weygandt/Unanimous VOTE 4:0 (Gaines absent)
1. ORDINANCES – Second reading:
a. Personnel/Civil Service Commission – Ordinance 5396-B adopted amending Chapter 3, affecting classification, compensation and allocation of position for Community Development Resource Agency/Building Department, creating the position of Building Division Manager and to reclassify one Supervising Building Inspector position to a Building Division Manager.
2. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS - Approved minutes of November 29, December 6, and 13, 2005.
3. CLAIMS AGAINST THE COUNTY – Rejected the following claims, as recommended by County Counsel:
a. 05-077, Jackson, Judi, $25,000 + (Personal Injury).
b. 06-006, Jackson, Judi, $25,000 + (Personal Injury).
4. COMMITTEES & COMMISSIONS:
a. In-Home Supportive Services Advisory Committee – Approved appointment of Eula Marshall to Seat #2 (Service Recipient), Diane Lester to Seat #5 (Service Recipient) and Karen Boal to Seat #9 (Service Recipient), as requested by the In-Home Supportive Services Advisory Committee.
b. Newcastle, Rocklin, Gold Hill Cemetery District – Approved reappointment of Gordon Takemoto to Seat 3, Wayne W. "Wes" Naylor to Seat 4 and Gene D. Gieck to Seat 5.
c. Sheridan Municipal Advisory Council - Approved appointment of Adam Carpineta to Seat 2, as requested by Supervisor Weygandt.
d. Solid Waste Independent Hearing Panel - Approved appointment of Gerald Brentnall to Seat 3 (At-Large).
e. Tahoe Cemetery District – Approved reappointment of James R. O'Brien to Seat 1, Robert B. Scoville to Seat 2, Steve M. Glazer to Seat 4 and Randal Pomin to Seat 5 and appointment of Donald A. Hale to Seat 3, as requested by Supervisor Kranz.
5. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/TERRACINA PLANNED DEVELOPMENT TRACT #928 – Approved the Final Map, Subdivision Improvement Agreement and authorized the recording.
6. COUNTY EXECUTIVE:
a. Ordinance introduced, first reading waived, amending Chapter 3, Section 3.12.030, Unclassified Service, Schedule of Classifications, Salary Plan and Grade Unclassified Service, relating to the Auditor-Controller Department, Managing Accountant Auditor positions.
b. Authorized the travel of Supervisors Holmes, Santucci and Weygandt to Washington DC from February 14 to 17, 2006, to meet with elected or appointed officials of the United States to discuss legislative and regulatory issues affecting the County, and over which the Federal officials have jurisdiction.
c. Approved a merit increase for Mary George, Assistant Director of Library Services, from Step 2 to Step 3, retroactive to January 21, 2006.
7. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/EMERGENCY SERVICES:
a. Placer Hills Fire Protection District – Resolution 2006-24 adopted approving the FY 2005/06 Capital Facilities Plan update, retaining its existing mitigation fee schedule.
b. South Placer Fire Protection District – Resolution 2006-25 adopted approving the 2005/06 Capital Facilities Plan update, reflecting a 4.3% Consumer Price Index base increase in Mitigation Fees.
8. FACILITY SERVICES:
a. Historic Courthouse Fire Alarm System, Project #4754 – Accepted a progress report and approved continuation of the project, pursuant to Section 22050 of the Public Contract Code and Section 1.3 (m) of the Purchasing Policy Manual.
b. Sewer Maintenance District #1 – Resolution of Intention 2006-26 adopted setting the time and date to hold a public hearing to consider the annexation of property owned by Dunmore Communities, APN 052-080-012-510, into the district. Subject property is located on New Airport Road, Auburn.
9. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES/ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH – Approved a budget revision, in the amount of $11,500, for Animal Services licensing, dispatch and adoption software and adding them to the Master Fixed Asset List.
a. Ordinance introduced, first reading waived, amending Chapter 3, Section 3.12.010, Appendices DSAS-3, DSAN-4, and MGTS-9, relating to the salaries for the classifications covered by Proposition F and other associated law enforcement classifications, effective February 03, 2006, 5:01 p.m.
b. Approved the Placer County Equal Employment Opportunity Program Plan from January 01, 2006 through December 31, 2006.
11. PROCUREMENT SERVICES – Authorized the Purchasing Manager to sign the following:
a. Bid #9520, Mobile Data Computers/Sheriff – Awarded to Compucom Systems, Inc., in the amount of $82,575.16.
12. PUBLIC WORKS/PLACER HILLS FIRE PROTECTION DISTRICT – Resolution 2006-27 adopted approving and authorizing the Chairman to execute a Quitclaim Deed with the Placer Hills Fire Protection District, quitclaiming an un-used portion of right-of-way in front of the fire station. Subject property is located on Combie Road at Placer Hills Road in Meadow Vista.
14. TREASURER/TAX COLLECTOR – Resolution 2006-28 adopted delegating the authority to invest certain funds under the control of the Board of Supervisors to the Treasurer.
*** End of Consent Agenda***
The following item was moved for discussion:
13. REVENUE SHARING - Approved appropriation of $500 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Lincoln Rotary Club for a training program, as requested by Supervisor Weygandt.
MOTION Holmes/Weygandt VOTE 3:1:0 (Kranz No, Gaines absent)
15. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/EMERGENCY SERVICES – Ordinance introduced, first reading waived, amending Chapter 2, Articles 2.16 and 2.88 to reflect (1) the County Executive Officer as the Director of Emergency Services, (2) the County Executive Officer as the Chairman of the Disaster Council, (3) granting the Board authority to appoint other members of the Disaster Council, and (4) amending Chapter 3, Article 3.08, using the term “Emergency Services” in lieu of “Civil Defense.”
MOTION Weygandt/Holmes/Unanimous VOTE 4:0 (Gaines absent)
16. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES:
MOTION Kranz/Holmes/Unanimous VOTE 4:0 (Gaines absent)
MOTION Holmes/Weygandt/Unanimous VOTE 4:0 (Gaines absent)
17. COUNTY COUNSEL/CLOSED SESSION REPORT:
(A) §54956.9 - CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL
(1) Existing Litigation:
(a) Cross v. County of Placer, Placer County Superior Court Case No. SCV 27628 – The Board was advised of the successful completion of the case with the granting of a motion for summary judgment in favor of the County and the named defendants.
(b) City of Rocklin v. Yee, Placer County Superior Court Case No. SCV 18727 – The Board gave direction.
(c) City of Rocklin v. Snecchi, Placer County Superior Court Case No.: SCV 18721 – The Board gave direction.
(d) Sierra Club, et al. vs. County of Placer/U.S. Home Corporation, et al. vs. Town of Loomis vs. County of Placer/Bickford Holdings, et al., Third District Court of Appeal Case No.: C047630 – The Board received a status report and gave direction to Counsel.
(B) §54957.6 - CONFERENCE WITH LABOR NEGOTIATOR – No discussion.
Agency negotiator: CEO/Personnel Director.
Employee organization: PPEO/DSA.
18. PLANNING BUSHNELL NURSERY REZONING AND APPEAL OF MINOR USE PERMIT (PREAT20040129) MITIGATED NEGATIVE DECLARATION – Public hearing to consider an appeal from Dave Bushnell of specific conditions of approval for a Minor Use Permit for a retail nursery, including retail sales, and an accessory landscape installation business. The Board will also consider a rezoning request from RS-B-20 (Single Family Residential, Building Site size 20,000 square feet) to F-Dc-B20 (Farm, Building size 20,000 square feet, Design Corridor), for the 15.7 acre project site. The property (APN 048-081-035, 048-081-054, 048-081-055, and 048-081-058) is located at 5255 Douglas Boulevard, approximately 1.5 miles east of Sierra College Boulevard, and is currently zoned RS-B-20 (Single Family Residential, Building Site size 20,000 square feet).
MOTION Holmes/Weygandt/Unanimous VOTE 4:0 (Gaines absent), to continue to February 21, 2006 at 9:30 a.m.
19. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS – Presentation by Diane Bras, Family Law Facilitator, regarding the Placer County Superior Court Legal Help Center.
20. FACILITY SERVICES/SEWER MAINTENANCE DISTRICT #1 - Public hearing closed. Resolution 2006-29 adopted annexing the Glenn Templeton property, APN 076-271-009, into the district. Subject property is located on Stanley Drive, Auburn.
MOTION Weygandt/Holmes/Unanimous VOTE 4:0 (Gaines absent)
21. COUNTY EXECUTIVE – Resolution 2006-30 adopted authorizing a ballot measure for the June 6, 2006 primary election asking the electorate to consider repeal of Measure F affecting the salaries of Placer County Deputy Sheriffs. MOTION Kranz/Weygandt/Unanimous VOTE 4:0 (Gaines absent)
22. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/PLACER CONSOLIDATED FIRE PROTECTION DISTRICT – Resolution 2006-31 adopted integrating the Placer Consolidated Fire Protection District fire protection responsibilities into Placer County Fire upon dissolution of the District. In addition, directed County staff to bring forward establishment of County Service Area #28, Zone of Benefit 193, concurrent with the District’s dissolution to fund fire protection operations and capital facilities mitigation within the District area. MOTION Holmes/Weygandt/Unanimous VOTE 4:0 (Gaines absent)
23. PLANNING/APPEAL PENRYN 76 SIGN PERMIT & VARIANCE (PSIN20040783/ PVAA20050302). The property (APN 043-060-063 and 043-060-064) is comprised of 5 acres, is zoned C1-UP-DC (Neighborhood Commercial, Combining CUP required, Combining Design Scenic Corridor) and is located at 3142 Boyington Road in the Penryn area. (Continued from January 10, 2006)
Conduct a public hearing to consider the following:
a. Sign Permit (PSIN20040783) appeal by Bobby Rogers of the Planning Commission's denial of a sign permit for the re-facing of two existing canopies.
MOTION Holmes/Santucci/Unanimous VOTE 4:0 (Gaines absent), to close the public hearing, overturn the decision of the Planning Commission, accept the CEQA Exemption (Page 296 of the agenda package) and direct staff to return with Findings.
b. Variance (PVAA20050302) appeal by Bobby Rogers of the Planning Commission's denial of a variance for the construction of a 50-foot high freestanding pole sign where the maximum permitted height is 25 feet.
MOTION Holmes/Weygandt VOTE 3:1:0 (Kranz No, Gaines absent), to deny the variance appeal.
ADJOURNMENT – Next regular meeting is Tuesday, February 21, 2006.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ 2006 MEETING SCHEDULE:
February 21, 2006
March 07, 2006
March 21, 2006
April 03, 2006 (Granlibakken, Tahoe)
April 04, 2006 (Granlibakken, Tahoe)