COUNTY OF PLACER
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
TUESDAY, JUNE 4, 2013
Jack Duran, District 1, Vice Chairman David Boesch, County Executive
Robert Weygandt, District 2 Holly Heinzen, Chief Assistant County Executive Officer
Jim Holmes, District 3, Chairman Gerald O. Carden, County Counsel
Kirk Uhler, District 4 Ann Holman, Clerk of the Board
Jennifer Montgomery, District 5
County Administrative Center, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, CA 95603
Materials related to an item on this Agenda submitted to the Board after distribution of the agenda packet are available for public inspection at the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors Office, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, during normal business hours. Placer County is committed to ensuring that persons with disabilities are provided the resources to participate fully in its public meetings. If you are hearing impaired, we have listening devices available. If you require additional disability-related modifications or accommodations, including auxiliary aids or services, please contact the Clerk of the Board. If requested, the agenda shall be provided in appropriate alternative formats to persons with disabilities. All requests must be in writing and must be received by the Clerk five business days prior to the scheduled meeting for which you are requesting accommodation. Requests received after such time will be accommodated only if time permits.
FLAG SALUTE – Led by Supervisor Weygandt.
STATEMENT OF MEETING PROCEDURES - Read by Clerk.
PUBLIC COMMENT – Jenine O’Brien, Placer People of Faith Together, said she has been working on the 211 issue and would like to be on the next Board meeting because they are starting a grant writing effort.
SUPERVISOR’S COMMITTEE REPORTS – 1) Supervisor Uhler reported on the return of H1 Hydro Plane racing to Placer County after 46 years at Granite Bay State Park, advising he spoke with Economic Development to see what can be done to promote the event next year. 2) Supervisor Montgomery advised she attended the California Clean Air Awards and was delighted to see the City of Auburn receive an award for the sustainability steps towards cleaner air. Supervisor Montgomery also attended the final dedication ceremony for the 442nd Memorial in Roseville at the Santucci Center. 3) Chairman Holmes attended The Department of Energy Bio Energy Technologies Office 2013 project peer review in Virginia.
1. COUNTY EXECUTIVE
a. Proposed Budget – The Board took the following action:
1. Adopted the FY 2013-14 Proposed Budget.
2. Adopted the FY 2013-14 Proposed Budgets for Lighting Districts, County Service Area Zones (CSAs), and Sewer Maintenance Districts governed by your Board.
3. Approved early purchase of equipment on the Master Fixed Asset List.
4. Adopted Resolution 2013-105 approving revisions to the Budget and Financial Policy.
5. Designated undesignated carryover fund balance from FY 2012-13 to the following purposes:
a. General Fund reserves pursuant to Budget and Financial Policy;
b. Infrastructure priorities pursuant to Budget and Financial Policy;
c. Other one-time or Board identified priorities for FY 2013-14.
2. PUBLIC WORKS
a. Amendment to Agreement and Adoption of Updated Fees: Placer County-City of Roseville Joint Traffic Fee Program
1. Conducted a Public Hearing on the updated fee schedule and Capital Improvement Program for the Placer County – City of Roseville Joint Traffic Fee Program.
2. Resolution 2013-106 adopted authorizing the County Executive Officer to execute, with County Counsel and Risk Management’s review and approval, the First Amended and Restated Agreement between Placer County and the City of Roseville for Baseline/Walerga Roads Traffic Fee Program approving the updated Traffic Fee Schedule and Capital Improvement Program. There is no net County cost.
MOTION Duran/Weygandt/Unanimous VOTE 4:0 (Montgomery temporarily absent)
3. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY
a. Placer County Conservation Plan
1. Received a status report on the preparation of the Placer County Conservation Plan (PCCP) with a particular emphasis on the costs associated with the implementation of the program.
2. No Action Taken - Approve an adjustment to the eastern boundary of the PCCP regulatory coverage area in order to incorporate the current and anticipated future boundary of Sewer Maintenance District No. 1.
There is no net County cost associated with these actions.
4. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY
a. Single-Room Occupancy Residential Housing – Housing Element Implementation
1. Conducted a Public Hearing to consider the proposed amendments to County Code Chapter 17 pertaining to Single-Room Occupancy Residential Housing and associated amendments to County Code Chapter 15, Article 15.04,
2. Adopted the Revised Negative Declaration prepared for the Single-Room Occupancy Zoning Text and Building and Construction Codes Amendments, and
3. Adopted Ordinance 5710-B amending Placer County Code Chapter 17 (Zoning Ordinance), Articles 17.04, 17.06, 17.20, 17.22, 17.26, 17.30, 17.34, 17.48, and 17.56 pertaining to Single-Room Occupancy Housing in order to implement State housing law and the County’s Housing Element, and
4. Adopted Ordinance 5711-B amending Placer County Code Chapter 15 (Building and Construction Codes), Article 15.04, to add Section 15.04.127 pertaining to local revisions to the standards for Efficiency Dwelling Units in order to implement State housing law and the County’s Housing Element.
There is no net County cost associated with these actions.
5. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
1. Approved minutes of April 22, 2013. Supervisor Duran and Supervisor Weygandt absent.
MOTION Uhler/Montgomery VOTE 3:0:2 (Duran/Weygandt abstain)
6. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES
a. Children’s System of Care, Contract, Whole Person Learning, Inc.
1. Approved a contract with Whole Person Learning, Inc. to deliver housing and supportive services to emancipating foster youth transitioning to adulthood from July 1, 2013 through June 30, 2014 in the amount of $594,000 (no net County cost), and authorized the Director of Health and Human Services to sign subsequent amendments up to a total of $49,999, consistent with the agreement’s subject matter and scope of work.
Adjourned as the Placer County Board Of Supervisors and
Convened as the Placer County In-Home Supportive Services Public Authority
b. Adult System of Care, Budget, In-Home Supportive Services Public Authority budget for FY 2013-14
1. Approved the In-Home Supportive Services Public Authority Budget for FY 2013-14 in the amount of $827,641.
Adjourned as the Placer County In-Home Supportive Services Public Authority
and Reconvened as the Placer County Board Of Supervisors
7. PUBLIC WORKS
a. Award Contract No. 1133, Roadway Surface Treatment, Summer 2013
1. Resolution 2013-107 adopted authorizing the Chairman to award and execute the construction contract, with County Counsel and Risk Management’s review and approval, for Contract #1133, Roadway Surface Treatment, Summer 2013, to the lowest responsible and responsive bidder, VSS International Inc. of West Sacramento in the amount of $1,739,555.
2. Authorized the Director of Public Works to execute contract change orders up to 15% of the contract amount. There is no net County cost.
3. Adopted a Budget Revision to increase the project budget expense appropriation by $250,000, Object Level #3 (2678) and increase the project budget revenue (7199) State funding by $250,000.
8. COUNTY COUNSEL/CLOSED SESSION REPORT:
(A) §54956.9 – CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL
1. Existing Litigation (Government Code §54956.9(d)(1):
(a) County of Placer v. Anthony Lewis Cardoso, Mary Sue Cardoso and Does 1 through 100, inclusive, Placer County Superior Court Case No.: SCV0031200 – The Board authorized settlement of that eminent domain action.
(b) Ad-Hoc Committee, et al. v. County of Placer, et al., Placer County Superior Court Case No.: SCV0029886, Third District Court of Appeal Case No.: C072389 – The Board gave direction to staff.
Adjourned as the Placer County Board of Supervisors and
Convened as the Placer County Successor Agency
2. Anticipated Litigation:
(a) Initiation of litigation pursuant to subdivision (d)(4) of Government Code §54956.9: one potential case. – The Board discussed one item of anticipate litigation and gave direction to staff.
Adjourned as the Placer County Successor Agency and
Reconvene as the Placer County Board of Supervisors
(B) §54957 - PUBLIC EMPLOYEE APPOINTMENT
Title: Director of Facility Services – The Board confirmed the appointment of Mary Dietrich as the Director of Facility Services.
CONSENT AGENDA – Consent Agenda approved with action as indicated. The Board convened as the Placer County Successor Agency for Item #16. MOTION Uhler/Duran/Unanimous
9. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
1. Approved minutes of April 23, 2013 and May 7, 2013.
10. CLAIMS AGAINST THE COUNTY
1. Rejected the following claims, as recommended by the offices of County Counsel and Risk Management.
a. 13-046, Daniel, Joshua, Excess of $1 Million, (Bodily Injury)
b. 13-049, Khudoy, Vladimir, $1,056,250, (Property Loss)
2. Rejected the following Leave to Present a Late Claim and Underlying Claim, as recommended by the offices of County Counsel and Risk Management.
a. 13-038, Walsh, Liliya, Unstated, (Personal Injury)
11. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY
a. Third-Party Plan Check with CSG Consultants, Inc, Verizon Wireless Contract
1. Authorized the Building Services Division to execute a contract with CSG Consultants, Inc. to provide plan review and inspection services for the Verizon Wireless Project. There is no net County cost associated with this action, as all costs for the plan review and inspection services will be paid by the applicant, Cellco Partnership.
b. American Vineyard Village Subdivision, Tract #1003/Project DPN-8634 - Improvements for the project have been completed in accordance with approved standards. Therefore, it is requested that the Board take the following Actions:
1. Accepted the improvements as complete.
2. Authorized the Faithful Performance surety to be set at 25% of the value of public improvements pursuant to County Code Section 16.08.200, immediately upon your Board’s approval.
3. Authorized the Labor and Materials surety to be set at 50% or the total of all claims per G.C. 66499.7, whichever is higher, for six months or longer if claims exist, upon Board approval.
There is no net County cost associated with this action.
c. Schaffer’s Mill (Aka Eaglewood, Then Timilick Tahoe) Phases 2A & 2B, Tracts # 963 & 978, Projects PN 8398 & PN 8677 - Improvements for the projects have been substantially completed. Therefore, it is requested that the Board take the following actions:
1. Accepted the improvements as complete.
2. Authorized release of the Faithful Performance surety pursuant to County Code Section 16.08.200 immediately upon your Board’s approval.
3. Authorized release of the Labor and Materials surety per G.C.66499.7 immediately upon your Board’s approval.
4. Authorized release of Faithful Performance and Labor/Materials security provided with a Deferred Improvement Agreement taken with Timilick Tahoe Phases 1A and 1B.
There is no net County cost associated with this action.
d. Master Stewardship Agreement with the U.S. Forest Service Lake Tahoe Basin Management Unit
1. Authorized the Chairman to sign a Supplemental Project Agreement under Master Stewardship Agreement #11-SA-11051900-006 with the U.S. Forest Service Lake Tahoe Basin Management Unit to support the Board’s goals of reducing open burning. There is no net County cost associated with this action as the maximum $40,000 will be paid from the Clean Air Grant obtained from the Placer County Air Pollution Control District.
12. COUNTY EXECUTIVE
a. Merit Increases
1. Approved a 5% merit increase for Gerardo Gamez, Administrative Services Director from Grade 667 Step 2 @ $68.88 to Grade 667 Step 3 at $72.30 per hour, effective June 29, 2013.
2. Approved a 5% merit increase for Holly Heinzen, Chief Assistant County Executive Officer from Grade 525 Step 2 @ $98.58 to Grade 525 Step 3 at $103.51 per hour, effective June 15, 2013.
3. Approved a 5% merit increase for Mark Rideout, Deputy Director Facility Services of Park, Property, & Museums from Grade 459 Step 4 @ $56.35 to Grade 459 Step 5 at $59.19 per hour, effective June 15, 2013.
4. Approved a 5% merit increase for Rui Cunha, Assistant Director of Emergency Services from Grade 459 Step 4 @ $56.35 to Grade 459 Step 5 at $59.19 per hour, effective June 15, 2013.
5. Approved a 5% merit increase for Nicole C. Howard, Assistant Auditor-Controller from Grade 476 Step 2 @ $60.54 to Grade 476 Step 3 at $63.56 per hour, effective June 1, 2013.
13. FACILITY SERVICES
a. Building Maintenance, Purchase, Portable Emergency Generator
1. Authorized the Purchasing Manager to solicit bids for the purchase of a portable diesel motor generator for the Foresthill Memorial Hall, award to the lowest responsive and responsible bidder, and sign all necessary documents. The equipment purchase is funded by the Federal Emergency Management Performance Grant (EMPG), with no net county cost.
2. Approved a Budget Revision in the amount of $27,000 to increase appropriations and grant revenue in the Building Maintenance budget.
3. Approved the addition of one (1) Diesel Motor Generator to the Master Fixed Asset List.
b. Capital Improvements, Job Order Contracting, Fregoso Builders, Inc., Contract, Project #9486.01
1. Authorized the Chairman to sign a unilateral Change Order to increase the Maximum Contract Value of the contract with Fregoso Builders, Inc. (FBI) for Job Order Contracting services by $200,000 for a total contract cost not-to-exceed $1,200,000 with no net County cost.
c. Environmental Engineering, Environmental Utilities Electrical Van
1. Approved a Budget Revision to the FY 2012-13 Environmental Utilities Budget increasing the Fixed Asset line item for the electrical van from $40,000 to $48,000 funded through sewer and water user fees, at no net County cost.
14. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES
a. Children’s System of Care, Contracts
1. Approved agreements to provide community-based child protective services from July 1, 2013 through June 30, 2014, and authorized the Director of Health and Human Services to sign the resulting agreements and subsequent amendments up to 10 percent of the original contract amounts, consistent with the current agreements’ subject matter and scope of work:
a. Lighthouse Counseling and Family Resource Center in an amount not to exceed $72,000 ($14,500 net County cost), and
b. North Tahoe Family Resource Center in an amount not to exceed $52,000 ($10,500 net County cost).
b. Human Services, Purchase, Video Teleconferencing System (Rocklin Office)
1. Approved the purchase of Video Teleconferencing System in an amount not to exceed $11,505 (no net County cost) for the Rocklin office, and authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign the resulting purchasing documents, and
2. Approved the addition of this equipment to the Master Fixed Asset List.
a. Ordinances (3) introduced, first reading waived, to amend the manner in which compensation is paid for Physicians & Psychiatrists to comply with CalPERS regulations.
1. Approved the revised classification specification for Physician.
2. Un-codified Ordinance introduced, first reading waived, to amend the Allocation and Compensation ordinance to re-title Physician II to Physician and update the corresponding Salary Grades.
3. Ordinance introduced, first reading waived, amending Placer County Code Chapter 3 Section 3.12.030 - Unclassified Service Salary and Benefit Notations to continue the associated pays for the Health and Human Services contract physicians.
4. Un-codified Ordinance introduced, first reading waived, adopting the additional pays for Health and Human Services Psychiatrists.
16. PLACER COUNTY SUCCESSOR AGENCY
a. Legal Services Consulting Contract
1. Resolution 2013-100 adopted authorizing the Purchasing Manager to execute an amendment to the legal services consulting contract with Burke, Williams, Sorenson, LLP that extends the contract for FY 2013/14 in an amount not to exceed $160,000.
17. PROCUREMENT SERVICES - In accordance with County Policy, non-contested competitively awarded bids under $250,000 are placed on the Consent Agenda
a. Renew Blanket Purchase Order, Probation
1. Approved the renewal of a sole-source Blanket Purchase Order (BPO) with AutoMon LLC for software license fees, support and related services for the Probation Caseload Explorer case management system in the maximum amount of $130,777, for the period of April 1, 2013 to March 31, 2014, funded by the FY 2013/2014 proposed department budget with no additional net County cost, and authorized the Purchasing Manager to sign the resulting BPO.
b. Change Order Blanket Purchase Order, Countywide
1. Approved Change Order No. 1 to Countywide Blanket Purchase Order No. 20164 with Jacobs Office Interiors for ergonomic chairs in the amount of $50,000, resulting in a new maximum amount of $85,000
2. Approved the renewal of Countywide Blanket Purchase Order No. 20164 with Jacobs Office Interiors of Auburn for ergonomic chairs in the maximum amount of $85,000.00, for the period October 1, 2013 to September 30, 2014, and authorized the Purchasing Manager to sign the resulting blanket purchase order.
c. Award Blanket Purchase Order, Probation
1. Approved the award of a Blanket Purchase Order to Redwood Toxicology Laboratory Inc. for drug testing supplies and laboratory services using a competitively bid public agency contract in the maximum amount of $100,000 for the period of July 1, 2013 to June 30, 2014, funded by the FY 2013/2014 proposed department budget with no additional net County cost, and authorized the Purchasing Manager to sign the resulting BPO.
d. Sole-Source Contract, Administrative Services/I.T. & Health & Human Services, Human Services Task Management Upgrade Project
1. Authorized the Purchasing Manager to reject Request for Proposal #10230, Task Management System;
2. Authorized the Purchasing Manager to execute a sole source contract with SourceCode Technology Holdings, Inc., for the acquisition of K2 BlackPearl BPM Software and Development Services to support the Health & Human Services Task Management Upgrade Project, in the amount of $167,945, funded by Federal and State revenues with no net county cost, and upon review by County Counsel and Risk Management.
18. PUBLIC WORKS
a. Amendment No. 1, Professional Services Contract KN021009, Applied Engineering and Geology
1. Resolution 2013-101 adopted to approve Amendment No. 1 to Professional Services Contract KNO21009, with County Counsel and Risk Management’s review and approval, with Applied Engineering and Geology (AEG) for additional investigation of ground water contamination at the Auburn Fleet Yard as required by the California Regional Water Quality Control Board. The net County cost for this amendment is $98,419 and is budgeted in the FY 2012-13 Fleet Services Budget.
2. Authorized the Director of Public Works to execute the Amendment to the PSA.
b. Kings Beach Commercial Core Improvement, Core Of The Core Construction Contract No. 1140
1. Approved the project plans and specifications for use in bidding and construction of the Kings Beach Commercial Core Improvement Project, Core of the Core phase. There is no net County cost.
2. Authorized the Chairman to sign the title sheet of the plans.
3. Authorized the Department to advertise for bids.
c. Kings Beach Commercial Core Improvement Project, Easement Acquisition From Katherine Felte Property
1. Resolution 2013-102 adopted approving a Purchase Agreement for the acquisition of a Highway Easement and a Temporary Construction Easement on property owned by Katherine Felte for the Kings Beach Commercial Core Project in the amount of $27,100 utilizing FHWA/Caltrans Southern Nevada Public Land Management Act Funds.
2. Authorized the Chairman to execute the Agreement and accept the Easement deeds. There is no net County cost.
d. Sierra College Boulevard and Douglas Boulevard Sidewalk Improvements Project, Construction Contract No. 1152
1. Resolution 2013-103 adopted approving the project plans and specifications for the Sierra College Boulevard and Douglas Boulevard. Sidewalk Improvements Project and authorizing the Chairman to sign the cover sheet.
2. Authorized the Department of Public Works to advertise for bids for the Sierra College Boulevard and Douglas Boulevard Sidewalk Improvements Project. There is no net County cost.
19. REVENUE SHARING – In approving the following appropriations, the Placer County Board of Supervisors makes the finding that each and every approved contribution serves a public purpose by promoting the general welfare of the County and its inhabitants; therefore, the County benefits.
a. Approved appropriation of $250 in Revenue Sharing monies to the FieldHaven Feline Rescue “Classics, Cats and Cabernet” fundraising event to help support the organization’s life saving programs and services, as requested by Supervisor Weygandt ($250).
b. Approved appropriation of $800 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Lincoln Volunteer Center’s 12th Annual Tour de Lincoln Fundraising Event to help support community projects in Lincoln, as requested by Supervisor Weygandt ($800).
20. TREASURER-TAX COLLECTOR
a. Unsecured Property Tax Assessments
1. Resolution 2013-104 adopted authorizing discharge of accountability for unsecured property tax assessments within the years 1993 through 2007 in accordance with the provisions of Section 2923 of the California Revenue and Taxation code.
***End of Consent Agenda***
ITEMS FOR INFORMATION:
21. Personnel - Classified Service Merit Increases.
ADJOURNMENT – Next meeting is June 18, 2013.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ 2013 MEETING SCHEDULE:
June 18, 2013
July 9, 2013
July 22 & 23, 2013 (Tahoe)