COUNTY OF PLACER
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
TUESDAY, OCTOBER 25, 2011
Jack Duran, District 1 Thomas Miller, County Executive
Robert Weygandt, District 2, Chairman Anthony J. La Bouff, County Counsel
Jim Holmes, District 3 Holly Heinzen, Assistant County Executive
Kirk Uhler, District 4 Ann Holman, Clerk of the Board
Jennifer Montgomery, District 5, Vice Chairman
County Administrative Center, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, CA 95603
Materials related to an item on this Agenda submitted to the Board after distribution of the agenda packet are available for public inspection at the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors Office, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, during normal business hours. Placer County is committed to ensuring that persons with disabilities are provided the resources to participate fully in its public meetings. If you require disability-related modifications or accommodations, including auxiliary aids or services, please contact the Clerk of the Board. If requested, the agenda shall be provided in appropriate alternative formats to persons with disabilities. All requests must be in writing and must be received by the Clerk five business days prior to the scheduled meeting for which you are requesting accommodation. Requests received after such time will be accommodated only if time permits.
Granlibakken Conference Center & Lodge
725 Granlibakken Road
Tahoe City, CA
FLAG SALUTE – Led by Supervisor Duran.
STATEMENT OF MEETING PROCEDURES - Read by Clerk.
PUBLIC COMMENT – Peter Kraatz, Placer County Public Works Department, provided an update on the completion of the Lake Forest Restoration Project and improvement to fish habitat.
SUPERVISOR’S COMMITTEE REPORTS – Supervisor Holmes reported on the Ad Hoc Regional Waste Water meetings regarding the upgraded expansion to Sewer Maintenance District #1.
1. FACILITY SERVICES/ELIMINATION OF COMMERCIAL CARDBOARD RECYCLING FEES IN FRANCHISE AREAS 2 AND 3:
1. Conducted a Public Hearing to receive input on the proposed elimination of commercial cardboard recycling fees in Franchise Areas 2 and 3 which include the portion of Placer County from the City of Colfax to the Nevada State line. No public comment was received.
2. Resolution 2011-296 adopted authorizing the Chairman to sign the Thirteenth Amendment to the Agreement for Solid Waste Handling Services (Agreement) that eliminates the commercial cardboard fees.
3. Made a finding pursuant to Section 21080(b)(8) of the Public Resource Code that the collection fees are derived directly from the cost of providing service and are necessary to meet operating expenses required for maintenance of service and are therefore exempt from environmental review.
2. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS – Approved minutes of September 27, 2011. Chairman Weygandt absent. MOTION Uhler/Duran/Unanimous VOTE 4:0 (Weygandt abstained)
3. FACILITY SERVICES/TAHOE CITY PUBLIC UTILITY DISTRICT PRESENTATION WEST COMMONS BEACH ALTERNATIVES ANALYSIS - Received an update from the Tahoe City Public Utility District on the status of the West Commons Beach Alternatives Analysis project.
4. PUBLIC WORKS:
a. Cook-Riolo Road Bridge Replacement Project Contract #73161, Amendment #3 – Resolution 2011-294 adopted authorizing the Director of Public Works to execute Contract #73161, Amendment #3, in the amount of $350,000 with Quincy Engineering, Inc. to include design of public utility lines to be incorporated into the Cook Riolo Road Bridge Replacement Project, with County Counsel and Risk Management review and approval, and to approve future contract amendments up to an amount of $50,000. These contract amendments for additional professional services will increase the total contract to a total not to exceed $1,585,000 including contingencies. MOTION Duran/Holmes/Unanimous
b SR 89/Fanny Bridge Community Revitalization Project – Resolution 2011-295 adopted authorizing the Director of Public Works to sign an agreement between Placer County and Tahoe Transportation District for the State Route 89/Fanny Bridge Revitalization Project in Tahoe City.
ADJOURNED AS THE PLACER COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS AND
CONVENED AS THE PLACER COUNTY REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY BOARD
5. REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY - Considered the execution of two separate Exclusive Negotiating Rights Agreements between the Redevelopment Agency and Mountain Smart, LLC for the Redevelopment Agency Kings Beach Eastern Gateway and Swiss Mart:
a. Resolution 2011-297 adopted authorizing the Redevelopment Director or designee to execute an Exclusive Negotiating Rights Agreement with Mountain Smart, LLC for the planning of a mixed-use project on Redevelopment Agency property located on the southwest corner of Chipmunk Street and North Lake Boulevard, Kings Beach (Assessor Parcel Numbers 090-370-005, 090-370-006, 090-221-012, 090-221-013, 090-221-014, 090-221-018, 090-221-020, 090-221-021, 090-221-026, and 090-221-027).
b. Considered adoption of a Resolution authorizing the Redevelopment Director or designee to execute an Exclusive Negotiating Rights Agreement for a commercial/retail project on Redevelopment Agency property located at 8797 North Lake Boulevard, Kings Beach (Assessor Parcel Number 090-192-041 and 090-192-055).
Supervisor Montgomery stated an e-mail was received from Mr. Andrew Ryan and responded to by the Redevelopment Department. Anthony La Bouff, County Counsel, stated he had no legal reservations moving forward on this item.
MOTION Montgomery/Holmes/Unanimous to continue to meeting of November 15, 2011 and directed staff to present to the North Tahoe Regional Advisory Council for review on November 10, 2011.
ADJOURNED AS THE PLACER COUNTY REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY AND
RECONVENED AS THE PLACER COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
6. TREASURER TAX COLLECTOR/mPower TRAN - Resolution 2011-298 adopted authorizing the borrowing of funds for Fiscal Year 2011-12 and the Issuance and Sale of a County of Placer, California 2011-12 Placer mPOWER Program Administration Tax and Revenue Anticipation Note (the “TRAN”) in an Amount Not to Exceed $5 Million. MOTION Holmes/Montgomery/Unanimous
7. COUNTY COUNSEL/CLOSED SESSION REPORT:
(A) §54956.9 – CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL
1. Anticipated Litigation:
(a) Significant exposure to litigation pursuant to subdivision (b) of Government Code §54956.9: one potential case – Closed Session was completed on October 24, 2011, no action taken.
(B) §54957.6 - CONFERENCE WITH LABOR NEGOTIATORS – Closed Session was completed on October 24, 2011, no action taken.
(a) Agency designated representatives: Tom Miller, Nancy Nittler, Therese Leonard, Anthony J. La Bouff
Employee organization: PPEO
CONSENT AGENDA – Consent Agenda approved with action as indicated.
8. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS - Approved a Commendation honoring Christine Turner as the recipient of the 2011 Placer Conservator Award.
9. CLAIMS AGAINST THE COUNTY – Rejected the following claims, as recommended by the offices of County Counsel and Risk Management:
a. 11-126, Hoelter, James, $1,438.68, (Property Damage)
b. 11-139, Oliver, David, Not Stated, (Personal Injury)
c. 11-140, Oliver, David, Not Stated, (Personal Injury)
d. 11-145, Surewest, $5,562.57, (Property Damage)
e. 11-148, Barron, Melissa, $150.00, (Property Damage)
f. 11-149, Ferguson, Kenneth, $7,000.00, (Property Damage)
g. 11-151, Donner, Linda, $3,950.00, (Property Damage)
10. CLAIMS AGAINST THE COUNTY – Rejected the following Application for Leave to Present a Late Claim and its underlying claim, as recommended by the offices of County Counsel and Risk Management:
a. 11-146, Condosta, Robert, Not Stated, (Personal Injury)
11. COUNTY EXECUTIVE:
a. Regional Water Coalition – Resolution 2011-286 adopted in support of development of a regional coalition comprised of local agencies and stakeholders to address water challenges and support solutions relative to Delta water needs.
b. Community Thanksgiving Dinner - Approved participation in the Salvation Army’s Auburn Community Thanksgiving Day Dinner by matching Placer County employee contributions dollar for dollar up to a maximum amount of $1,500.
12. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/EMERGENCY SERVICES:
a. Truckee Fire Protection District - Resolution 2011-287 adopted approving the Truckee Fire Protection District Capital Improvement Plan for 2011 which reduces its mitigation fee structure from 23-28.5% depending on whether development is residential or nonresidential.
b. Sierra-Sacramento Valley Emergency Medical Services Agency - Approved Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with Sierra-Sacramento Valley (SSV) Emergency Medical Services Agency that defines terms, conditions and reimbursement procedures for county support provided to SSV, and authorized the Chairman to sign the MOU.
13. PUBLIC WORKS:
a. Abandonment/Portion of Squaw Valley Road/Olympic Valley – Resolution 2011-288 adopted to abandon an unimproved portion of Squaw Valley Road in Olympic Valley.
b. Tahoe City Transit Center, Construction Contract #1085 – Resolution 2011-289 adopted approving two Contract Change Orders in the amount of $82,007.86 and authorizing the Director of Public Works to sign the Change Orders and to sign any future change orders required to complete the project in an amount not to exceed $80,000.
c. Wise Road Bridge Replacement at North Ravine Project, Contract #1067 – Resolution 2011-290 adopted accepting the Wise Road Bridge Replacement At North Ravine Project as complete and authorizing the Director of Public Works to execute the Notice of Completion.
d. Redevelopment Agency/On-Call Services – Resolution 2011-291 adopted approving a $4,600 On-Call Services Agreement between the Placer County Redevelopment Agency (Agency) and the Placer County Department of Public Works (Public Works) to provide maintenance and support services for the Agency-owned real property located at 360 Silver Bend Way, Auburn and authorizing the Director of Public Works or his designee to execute the agreement.
e. State Route 65/Sunset Boulevard Interchange Project, Contract #1062 - Resolution 2011-292 adopted accepting the State Route 65 and Sunset Boulevard Interchange Project as complete and authorizing the Director of Public Works to execute the Notice of Completion.
14. REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY - Resolution 2011-293 adopted authorizing the Redevelopment Agency Director or his designee to execute an on-call service agreement with the County, through its Department of Public Works, in an amount not to exceed $4,600 for maintenance and repair tasks at the Agency-owned real property located at 360 Silver Bend Way, Auburn.
***End of Consent Agenda***
ITEMS FOR INFORMATION:
15. Personnel - Classified Service Merit Increases
16. Placer County Law Library – Annual Report and Financial Report 2010-2011.
ADJOURNMENT – Next regular meeting November 8, 2011.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ 2011 MEETING SCHEDULE:
November 8, 2011
November 15, 2011 (Tahoe)
December 13, 2011