COUNTY OF PLACER
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
TUESDAY, APRIL 12, 2011
Jack Duran, District 1 Thomas Miller, County Executive
Robert Weygandt, District 2, Chairman Anthony J. La Bouff, County Counsel
Jim Holmes, District 3 Holly Heinzen, Assistant County Executive
Kirk Uhler, District 4 Ann Holman, Clerk of the Board
Jennifer Montgomery, District 5, Vice Chairman
County Administrative Center, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, CA 95603
Northstar at Tahoe
Sierra/Martis Room, 100 Northstar Drive
Truckee, CA 96160
FLAG SALUTE – Led by Chairman Weygandt.
STATEMENT OF MEETING PROCEDURES - Read by Clerk.
PUBLIC COMMENT – None.
SUPERVISOR’S COMMITTEE REPORTS – Supervisor Montgomery requested powerpoints be electronically provided to Supervisors on Friday before the upcoming Board meeting.
1. FACILITY SERVICES:
a. Tahoe Truckee Disposal and Eastern Regional Landfill Inc. – Resolution 2011-99 adopted authorizing the Chairman to sign the eleventh amendment to the agreement for Solid Waste Handling Services with Tahoe Truckee Disposal and Eastern Regional Landfill Inc., to increase processing fees paid to the contractor.
MOTION Montgomery/Holmes/Unanimous VOTE 4:0 (Uhler absent)
b. Garbage Collection Fee Adjustment in Franchise Areas 2 & 3:
1. Public Hearing closed to receive input on proposed garbage collection fee adjustments in Franchise Areas 2 and 3, as shown in Exhibits A-1, A-2 and A-3. The Clerk announced 142 protest letters were received. Approximately 15,000 notices were mailed with 300 returned undeliverable. All property owners in Franchise Area #3 received notice by mail 45 days in advance of the hearing in compliance with Proposition 218.
2. Resolution 2011-98 adopted authorizing the Chairman to sign an Amendment that incorporates the new fees.
3. Made a finding pursuant to Section 21080(b)(8) of the Public Resource Code that the collection fees are derived directly from the cost of providing service and are necessary to meet operating expenses required for maintenance of service and are therefore exempt from environmental review. MOTION Montgomery/Duran/Unanimous VOTE 4:0 (Uhler absent)
2. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/PLANNING/Proposed Ordinance Temporarily Allowing Prohibited Signs (PZTA 20100383) - Public hearing closed. Ordinance 5641-B adopted that would allow for the placement of certain signs that are currently prohibited by the Zoning Ordinance and remove the maximum timeframes for banners and window signs, for a period of one year. MOTION Holmes/Duran/Unanimous VOTE 4:0 (Uhler absent)
3. COUNTY COUNSEL – Report on Appointment Practices of the Board of Supervisors. County Counsel was directed to write up a protocol of Board of Supervisors appointment practices for review.
4. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/PLANNING:
a. Tahoe Regional Planning Agency/Regional Plan Update Status/Placer County/Tahoe Community Plan Updates Status - The Planning Services Division and County Executive Office provided the Board with an update on the status of the Tahoe Regional Planning Agency’s (TRPA) Regional Plan Update (RPU) and the County’s Tahoe Community Plan Updates. No Board action was requested at this time.
b. Tourist Accommodation Units/Tahoe Regional Planning Agency - The Board was provided with an overview of what Tourist Accommodations (TAUs) are, factors that impact the size of TAUs, and what impact the Tahoe Regional Planning Agency’s action may have on Placer County with regard to possible changes to the TAU’s. No Board action is requested at this time.
5. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/NORTH LAKE TAHOE RESORT ASSOCIATION:
a. Approved the First Amendment to the FY 2010-2011 North Lake Tahoe Resort Association contract to allocate $914,794 in FY 2008-2009 and FY 2009-2010 Transient Occupancy Tax Fund balance. MOTION Montgomery/Holmes/Unanimous VOTE 4:0 (Uhler absent)
b. Approved the North Lake Tahoe Resort Association’s proposed expenditure of up to $528,500 toward the Homewood Class 1 Multipurpose Trail and Truckee River Corridor Access Plan Program environmental documents, Amgen Tour of California facility maintenance and the Regional Park playground equipment and approved a Budget Revision to appropriate a portion of these funds to Placer County.
MOTION Montgomery/Holmes/Unanimous VOTE 4:0 (Uhler absent)
6. PUBLIC WORKS/KINGS BEACH WATERSHED IMPROVEMENT PROJECT - Resolution 2011-100 adopted authorizing the Chairman to sign Professional Services Agreement #1011, Amendment #2, with the consultant Cardno Entrix, Inc. (formerly Entrix, Inc.), in the amount of $252,300 bringing the total contract amount to $2,252,572 for designing the next phase of the Kings Beach Watershed Improvement Project; and authorizing the Director of Public Works, or his designee, to approve and sign future amendments up to $25,230.
MOTION Montgomery/Duran/Unanimous VOTE 4:0 (Uhler absent)
CONSENT AGENDA - Item #11 moved for discussion. Consent Agenda approved as amended with action as indicated. The Board convened as the Redevelopment Agency Board for Item #16a&d.
MOTION Duran/Holmes/Unanimous VOTE 4:0 (Uhler absent)
a. Placer Weed Management Area Projects - Resolution 2011-88 adopted authorizing the Agricultural Commission/Sealer to sign a contract #10–0692 in the amount of $16,489 for Placer Weed Management Area Projects with the California Department of Food and Agriculture allowing for reimbursement from the State for the Placer County weed eradication program.
b. Petroleum Product Compliance, and Weighmaster Enforcement Programs – Resolution 2011-89 adopted authorizing the Agricultural Commissioner/Sealer to sign contract #11-0029-SA in the amount of $6,375 with the California Department of Food and Agriculture for Petroleum Product Compliance, and Weighmaster Enforcement Programs for the Fiscal Year 2011-2012.
c. Memorandum of Understanding/Weed Management - Resolution 2011-90 adopted authorizing the Agricultural Commissioner/Sealer to sign a Memorandum of Understanding with Nevada Placer Weed Management Area establishing terms and conditions under which Nevada Placer Weed Management Area group will cooperate and coordinate activities for prevention and control of noxious weeds in Nevada and Placer Counties.
8. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS – Resolution 2011-91 adopted in support of the “8 Worlds of Tahoe” Geotourism project in Lake Tahoe.
9. CLAIMS AGAINST THE COUNTY – Rejected the following claims, as recommended by the offices of County Counsel and Risk Management:
a. 11-032, Perez, Marilyn, $3,000, (Bodily Injury)
b. 11-034, Koons, V. W., $22,814, (Property Damage)
c. 11-035, Putnam, Robert, $3,000, (Property Damage)
d. 11-036, Cremona, Cesare, $4,975.23, (Property Damage)
e. 11-038, Terrazas, Frank, $64.30, (Property Damage)
10. COMMITTEES & COMMISSIONS:
a. Greater Auburn Area Fire Safe Council – Approved the appointment of Katharine Remaley to Seat 3 representing District 3, as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
11. MOVED FOR DISCUSSION COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/PLANNING – Authorize the Chairman to sign Stewardship Agreement No.11-SA-11051900-006 between Placer County and the U.S. Forest Service Lake Tahoe Basin Management Unit.
12. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/EMERGENCY SERVICES - Ordinance introduced, first reading waived, amending Chapter 9, Public Peace, Safety and Welfare; Article 9.32 Fire Prevention; Part 4 Hazardous Vegetation Abatement on Unimproved Parcels. Add two Alternate members at large to the Hazardous Vegetation Abatement Hearing Body.
13. FACILITY SERVICES:
a. Hidden Falls Regional Park Expansion, Project #4717 - Approved the Plans and Specifications and authorized staff to solicit bids for the Hidden Falls Regional Park Coon Creek Bridge Project, with an engineer’s estimate of probable construction cost of $914,000, funded by grants from Proposition 50, Sierra Nevada Conservancy, and matching funds from the Open Space Fund (Placer Legacy).
b. Tahoe City Public Utility District - Approved Amendment #1 to Maintenance Services Agreement #12950 with the Tahoe City Public Utility District, and authorized the Chairman to execute the amendment in an amount not-to-exceed $20,000 for maintenance and snow removal services at the Customs House property in Tahoe City.
c. North Tahoe Public Utility District Secline Lift Station - Pursuant to Government Code Section 25365, the Board took the following actions to transfer the approximately 2,215 sq. ft. portion of County-owned property located on Secline Beach (APN 117-180-013) in Kings Beach, CA, to the North Tahoe Public Utility District:
1. Delegated authority to the Director of Facility Services to execute an Agreement for the Transfer of Property (Agreement) based upon the attached Material Terms; and,
2. Adopted Resolution 2011-92 authorizing the Director of Facility Services, or his designee, to execute all documents and take all actions necessary to complete this transfer of property.
d. Tahoe Customs House Tenant Improvements, Project # 9413 - Approved a Consultant Services Agreement with Williams + Paddon, Architects + Planners, Inc. (W+P) to provide professional architectural and engineering services for the Tahoe Customs House Tenant Improvements, Project #9413, located at 775 North Lake Boulevard in Tahoe City and authorized the Chairman to execute the Agreement, in an amount not-to-exceed $88,250.
e. Modification of Curtola Ranch Road Easement – Resolution 2011-93 adopted authorizing the Director of Facility Services, or his designee, to execute all necessary documents and take all necessary actions to extinguish and/or quitclaim certain existing access rights over portions of Curtola Ranch Road and to accept an easement providing enhanced access rights over portions of Curtola Road to the Bruin Ranch located in the Auburn Valley/Big Hill area of Placer County.
14. Health & Human Services/Children’s System of Care - Approved an amendment to the cooperative agreement with Placer County Office of Education (PCOE), in the amount of $120,000 for Children’s system of Care, to extend the end of the term of the agreement from June 30, 2011 to July 31, 2011.
15. PROCUREMENT SERVICES - In accordance with County Policy, non-contested competitively awarded bids under $250,000 are placed on the Consent Agenda. Authorized the Purchasing Manager to sign the following:
a. Blanket Purchase Order #17664, Technical Support Services/Administrative Services/ IT - Approved Change Order #1 to Blanket Purchase Order #17664 with NexusIS, Inc., for Technical Support Services to maintain the County’s NEC Telephone Network, increasing the maximum amount by $55,000 for a Revised Maximum Amount of $120,414.00.
b. Budget Revision, Administrative Services/Telecommunications - Approved a Budget Revision related to the acceptance of additional Grant Funding from the State of California Governor’s Office of Homeland Security funded by the Public Safety Interoperable Communications Grant Program to serve the Countywide Interoperable Radio Network Project.
16. REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY:
a. Resolution 2011-94 adopted to approve specifications and authorize staff to solicit bids on Project #200168 to excavate contaminated soil on Redevelopment Agency–owned property located at 8784 North Lake Boulevard, Kings Beach.
b. Resolution 2011-95 adopted authorizing the Purchasing Manager to execute contract amendment #3 with Kleinfelder West, Inc. to oversee soil excavation and site remediation on Redevelopment Agency-owned property in Kings Beach and increase the contract amount from $41,328.00 to $89,185.20.
c. Resolution 201-96 adopted authorizing the Redevelopment Director or designee to execute a services agreement with the North Tahoe Business Association based on the material terms discussed herewith in the amount of $81,250 and subject to approval by Risk Management and Agency Counsel.
d. Resolution 2011-97 adopted authorizing the Redevelopment Director or designee to execute a services agreement with the Tahoe City Downtown Association based on the material terms discussed herewith in the amount of $81,250 and subject to approval by Risk Management and Agency Counsel.
17. SHERIFF - Approved a
contract between Placer County Sheriff-Coroner-Marshal and Principal Decision
Systems International (PDSI) for Telestaff staffing and scheduling software and
authorize the Purchasing Manager to execute any related documents. The
contract period is from May 1, 2011 to April 30, 2014 at a cost of
$77,014 which includes software and two years of maintenance service.
***End of Consent Agenda***
MOVED FROM CONSENT FOR DISCUSSION:
11. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/PLANNING – Authorized the Chairman to sign Stewardship Agreement No.11-SA-11051900-006 between Placer County and the U.S. Forest Service Lake Tahoe Basin Management Unit.
MOTION Montgomery/Holmes/Unanimous VOTE 4:0 (Uhler absent)
ITEMS FOR INFORMATION:
18. Auditor - Auditor-Controller’s Independent Accountant’s Report on the Treasurer’s Statement of Assets, for the quarter ended December 31, 2010.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ 2011 MEETING SCHEDULE:
May 3, 2011
May 24, 2011