COUNTY OF PLACER
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
THURSDAY, AUGUST 17, 2006
Bill Santucci, District 1, Chairman Thomas Miller, County Executive
Robert Weygandt, District 2 Anthony J. La Bouff, County Counsel
Jim Holmes, District 3 Rich Colwell, Chief Assistant County Executive
Edward “Ted” M. Gaines, District 4 Mike Boyle, Assistant County Executive
Bruce Kranz, District 5, Vice Chairman Holly Heinzen, Assistant County Executive
Ann Holman, Clerk of the Board
County Administrative Center, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, CA 95603
Placer County is committed to ensuring that persons with disabilities are provided the resources to participate fully in its public meetings. If you require additional disability-related modifications or accommodations, including auxiliary aids or services, please contact the Clerk of the Board. If requested, the agenda shall be provided in appropriate alternative formats to persons with disabilities. All requests must be in writing and must be received by the Clerk five business days prior to the scheduled meeting for which you are requesting accommodation. Requests received after such time will be accommodated only if time permits.
Placer County Administrative Center
Conference Room A, 175 Fulweiler Avenue
Auburn, CA 95603
In accordance with the County Budget Act, the Board may add or change items contained in the adopted Proposed Budget for FY 2006/07. All additions and changes to the Proposed Budget approved by the Board of Supervisors shall be made available to the public at least 72 hours prior to the Final Budget Public Hearing.
1. PUBLIC COMMENT – Rosemary Frieborn, Friends of Placer County Animal Shelter, submitted recommended revisions to the kennel attendant job description, and provided dog license fee information for Board consideration. She discussed the scope of the Animal Control Advisory Committee and indicated that she felt the budget for Animal Control was inadequate.
2. BUDGET WORKSHOP SCHEDULE – Conducted Budget Workshops with the following departments:
Facility Services, Public Works, District Attorney, and Probation.
3. COUNTY EXECUTIVE – Wrap up. The Board approved the following items for inclusion in Placer County’s Final Budget.
· $30,000 increase for the Placer County Arts Council’s contract budgeted amount.
· $415,000 increase to provide funding for the Sheriff’s Auburn Justice Center furniture and equipment from Facility Services.
· $1.5 million ($500,000 Sheriff’s fund and $1 million General Fund) to be set aside in the County Executive Office Public Safety Budget for a multimission (law, search and rescue and fire) helicopter. Staff to return in 60-90 days with full cost of program, both one time and operating, and identify city partners and funding for the project. MOTION Kranz/Gaines/Unanimous
· Biomass manager for County Executive Office to be converted from contract employee to a permanent allocation.
· Clerical reallocation for County Executive Office – two administrative secretary allocations to be converted to two executive secretary allocations.
· Additional accountant auditor position and funding of $82,308 for Auditor Controller.
· $31,000 for half-year funding and an additional administrative secretary allocation for Personnel.
· $114,000 for an Animal Control Contingency Fund.
· $300,000 Road Overlay Program funding.
· $235,000 for seven month funding for two probation officers to increase supervision for Probation’s Driving Under the Influence Program.
The Board concurred with staff recommendations to defer funding decisions for the Sheriff’s request for a Boat Barn ($200,000) and seven new staff for Jail Booking Stations ($600,000).
Board approved items presented by staff, over the three days of workshops, for inclusion in Placer County’s final budget in the amount of $47 million.
MOTION Kranz/Holmes/Unanimous 4:0 (Gaines temporarily absent)
Therese Leonard, County Executive Office, said the net change to the County’s budget exclusive of these items is $47 million. Of that amount, $25 million is from additional carry over fund balance throughout the County Budget and additional revenue of $21 million.
4. COUNTY COUNSEL/CLOSED SESSION REPORT - There was no discussion with regard to PPEO, DSA, or Management.
PERSONNEL SESSION/LABOR RELATIONS
(A) §54957.6 - CONFERENCE WITH LABOR NEGOTIATOR
Agency negotiator: CEO/Personnel Director
Employee organization: PPEO/DSA/Management
ADJOURNMENT – Adjourned to regular meeting August 22, 2006.