COUNTY OF PLACER
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
TUESDAY, JULY 10, 2012
Jack Duran, District 1 David Boesch, County Executive
Robert Weygandt, District 2 Holly Heinzen, Chief Assistant County Executive Officer
Jim Holmes, District 3, Vice Chairman Anthony J. La Bouff, County Counsel
Kirk Uhler, District 4 Ann Holman, Clerk of the Board
Jennifer Montgomery, District 5, Chairwoman
County Administrative Center, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, CA 95603
Materials related to an item on this Agenda submitted to the Board after distribution of the agenda packet are available for public inspection at the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors Office, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, during normal business hours. Placer County is committed to ensuring that persons with disabilities are provided the resources to participate fully in its public meetings. If you are hearing impaired, we have listening devices available. If you require additional disability-related modifications or accommodations, including auxiliary aids or services, please contact the Clerk of the Board. If requested, the agenda shall be provided in appropriate alternative formats to persons with disabilities. All requests must be in writing and must be received by the Clerk five business days prior to the scheduled meeting for which you are requesting accommodation. Requests received after such time will be accommodated only if time permits.
FLAG SALUTE – Led by David Boesch, County Executive.
STATEMENT OF MEETING PROCEDURES - Read by Clerk.
PUBLIC COMMENT – None.
SUPERVISOR’S COMMITTEE REPORTS – None.
1. PUBLIC WORKS/COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT BLOCK GRANT PROGRAM INCOME REUSE PLAN - Resolution 2012-167 adopted approving revisions to the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Program Income Reuse Plan. MOTION Holmes/Weygandt/Unanimous
2. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/EMERGENCY SERVICES - The Board received an update from the County Fire Warden on the Hazardous Vegetation Abatement (HVA) Ordinance.
3. AUDITOR-CONTROLLER - Received the Annual Report of the Placer County Audit Committee, presented by Wayne Nader, Audit Committee Chairman.
4. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/PLANNING/OLIVE RANCH SUBDIVISION/ CONDITIONAL USE PERMIT MODIFICATION (PCPM20120020)/APPEAL OF THE PLANNING COMMISSION DENIAL OF A GATED ENTRY FOR OLIVE RANCH SUBDIVISION - The Board is being asked to consider an Appeal from Ashley Feeney, on behalf of The New Home Company, of the Planning Commission’s denial of a gated entry for the Olive Ranch Subdivision. Staff recommends that the Board uphold the Planning Commission action and deny the Appeal.
MOTION Uhler/Weygandt/Unanimous VOTE 4:1 (Montgomery No) to grant the appeal and approve the Subdivision and Conditional Use Permit Modifications for the Olive Ranch Subdivision gated entry project, subject to prepared Findings and Conditions of Approval (Attachment E).
5. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/PLANNING/TERRACINA SUBDIVISION/ CONDITIONAL USE PERMIT MODIFICATION (PCPM20110367)/APPEAL OF THE PLANNING COMMISSION DENIAL OF A GATED ENTRY FOR TERRACINA SUBDIVISION - The Board is being asked to consider an appeal from Tiffany Bell, on behalf of the Terracina Owners’ Association, of the Planning Commission’s denial of a gated entry for the Terracina Subdivision. Staff recommends that the Board uphold the Planning Commission action and deny the Appeal.
MOTION Uhler/Weygandt/Unanimous, to grant the appeal and approve the Subdivision and Conditional Use Permit modifications for the Terracina Subdivision gated entry project, subject to prepared Findings and Conditions of Approval (Attachment F).
6. FACILITY SERVICES/ALL AMERICAN SPEEDWAY UPDATE - Received an update on the Placer County Fair Association and the All American Speedway and approved the following recommended actions:
1. Authorized the continuation of the existing Agreement with the Placer County Fair Association through December 31, 2013 subject to the condition outlined in this Memorandum
2. Delegated authority to the Community Development Resources Agency (CDRA) Director to execute a contract with Raney Planning & Management, Inc. for preparation of Phase II of the Speedway Operating Agreement EIR in an amount not to exceed $84,480
3. Provided direction to Facility Services regarding the preparation of an assessment and feasibility study for the Fairgrounds.
7 COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/PLANNING/Placer County Conservation Plan (pccp) - Staff is providing the Board with an update on the status of the PCCP Ad Hoc Committee deliberations and recent meetings with managers from a number of state and federal agencies. On January 23, 2007, the Board authorized an Ad Hoc Committee and approved a PCCP reserve map to initiate discussions with the Wildlife Agencies. Staff is now requesting that the Board authorize staff to submit the proposed PCCP Conservation Strategy consistent with the principles and objectives outlined in this report and the Reserve Map (Exhibit A) developed through the review and guidance of the Ad Hoc Committee. Staff is also recommending that staff proceed with elements of the work program that have been on hold pending concurrence on important aspects of the PCCP. These work program elements include preparation of an Environmental Impact Report (EIR), Environmental Impact Statement (EIS), and Finance Plan. A number of related recommendations are included in this report.
MOTION Weygandt/Uhler/Unanimous approving staff recommendations to direct County staff to prepare the PCCP consistent with the changes discussed herein; authorized staff to proceed with the preparation of the EIR/EIS; and authorized staff to proceed with the preparation of the Finance Plan.
8. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/FISCAL & POLICY WORKSHOPS:
a. Infrastructure Workshop - The Board took the following actions:
1. Received a presentation on county infrastructure related needs;
2. Authorized the County Executive Officer to form a County Infrastructure Investment Committee to include departments responsible for planning, building, and maintaining County infrastructure; and for identification and planning of economic development opportunities;
3. Directed staff to develop an infrastructure funding plan based upon criteria to be developed by the County Infrastructure Investment Committee and within the broader framework of the County Budget;
4. Provided no other direction.
b. Five Year Budget Strategy - The Board approved a five-year strategic budget approach that does the following:
a. Provides a framework and guidance for developing budget recommendations that further implement the previously adopted Budget and Financial Policy;
b. Achieves greater sustainability of countywide operations and service delivery;
c. Provides other direction as may be appropriate to refine the Budget and Financial Policy implementation strategy.
9. ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES/PROCUREMENT – Authorized the Purchasing Manager to sign the following:
a. Bid 10185/Fog Seal Emulsion Delivered & Spread/Public Works/Road Maintenance - Awarded Competitive Bid #10185 to Valley Slurry Seal, in the Maximum Amount of $300,000.
b. Blanket Purchase Order/Office Supplies/Administrative Services/Procurement- Approved the renewal of a Countywide Blanket Purchase Order with Staples Using a Competitively Bid Public Agency Agreement, in the maximum amount of $800,000.
10. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS/PLACER COUNTY CHARTER REVIEW COMMITTEE– Approved the appointment of Richard J. Burton to Seat #6 (representing At-Large) and Jim Gray to Seat #7 (representing At-Large). Applicants recommended include Jim Gray, Todd Nishikawa or Richard J. Burton. MOTION Uhler/Weygandt/Unanimous
11. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS ACTING IN ITS CAPACITY AS SUCCESSOR AGENCY TO THE FORMER REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY:
1. Received a list of properties for discussion purchased by the former Placer County Redevelopment Agency in the North Lake Tahoe Redevelopment Project Area that will be subject to disposition with prior approval of the Placer County Oversight Board.
2. Received an update of Assembly Bill 1484 as it pertains to former Redevelopment Agency dissolution and housing.
12. FACILITY SERVICES/CLINIC BEHAVIORAL HEALTH INTEGRATION PROJECT #4888 – Approved a Budget Revision in the amount of $1,155,000 for the new Clinic Behavioral Health Integration Project No. 4888 to remodel the Community Clinic to support the integration of behavioral health with primary care services; to be funded with $945,000 in Mental Health Services Act funding and $210,000 in net county cost. MOTION Duran/Weygandt/Unanimous
13. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES:
a. Adult System of Care - Approved an agreement with Crestwood Behavioral Health to provide mandated mental health services for Placer County residents with the highest level of need from July 1, 2012 through June 30, 2014 for a total not to exceed $2,002,400 ($1,201,440 net county cost), and authorized the Director of Health and Human Services to sign subsequent amendments up to a cumulative total of $49,999, consistent with the agreement’s subject matter and Scope of Work. MOTION Holmes/Uhler/Unanimous
b. Adult System of Care - Approved an agreement with Davis Guest Home to provide residential mental health services from July 1, 2012 through June 30, 2014 for a total not to exceed $280,000 ($168,000 net county cost), and authorized the Director of Health and Human Services to sign subsequent amendments up to 10% of the total contract, consistent with the agreement’s subject matter and Scope of Work. MOTION Holmes/Uhler/Unanimous
c. Adult System of Care - Approved a revenue agreement with Nevada County for inpatient treatment of Nevada County clients at the Placer County Psychiatric Health Facility from July 1, 2012 through June 30, 2014 in an amount not to exceed $648,600, and authorized the Director of Health and Human Services to sign subsequent amendments.
d. Adult System of Care – Approved an agreement with Nevada County Behavioral Health to provide mental health crisis triage services from July 1, 2012 through June 30, 2014 for a total amount not to exceed $936,000 ($374,400 net county cost), and authorized the Director of Health and Human Services to sign subsequent amendments up to a cumulative total of $49,999, consistent with the agreement’s subject matter and Scope of Work.
e. Adult System of Care - Approved an agreement with Sierra Mental Wellness Group for emergency psychiatric crisis services from July 1, 2012 through June 30, 2013 in an amount not to exceed $513,468 ($225,926 net county cost), and authorized the Director of Health and Human Services to sign subsequent amendments not to exceed a cumulative total of $49,999, consistent with the current agreement’s subject matter and Scope of Work.
f. Adult System of Care - Approved an agreement with Telecare Corporation to operate the Placer County Psychiatric Health Facility (PHF) to provide acute psychiatric care to patients requiring 24-hour professional assessment, evaluation and treatment from July 1, 2012 through June 30, 2013 for a total amount not to exceed $2,865,417 ($1,203,475 net county cost), and authorized the Director of Health and Human Services to sign subsequent amendments not to exceed a cumulative total of $49,999, consistent with the current agreement’s subject matter and Scope of Work. MOTION Holmes/Uhler/Unanimous
g. Adult System of Care - Approved an agreement with Turning Point Community Programs to provide intensive mental health outpatient treatment from July 1, 2012 to June 30, 2013 for a total not to exceed $1,826,736 ($127,872 net county cost), and authorized the Director of Health and Human Services to sign subsequent amendments up to a cumulative total of $49,999, consistent with the agreement’s subject matter and Scope of Work. MOTION Holmes/Uhler/Unanimous
h. Adult System of Care - Approved an agreement with Yolo Community Care Continuum (Farmhouse) to provide residential mental health services from July 1, 2012 through June 30, 2014 for a total not to exceed $340,000 ($102,000 net county cost), and authorized the Director of Health and Human Services to sign subsequent amendments up to 10% of the total contract amount, consistent with the agreement’s subject matter and Scope of Work.
i. Community Clinic - Approved a contract with The Effort, Inc., for medical and psychiatric provider services from July 1, 2012 through June 30, 2013 for a total amount not to exceed $650,000 (100% federal and state funded), and authorized the Director of Health and Human Services to sign subsequent amendments up to a cumulative total of $49,999, consistent with the agreement’s subject matter and Scope of Work. MOTION Uhler/Duran/Unanimous
14. PERSONNEL - Authorized the Personnel Director to sign the dental administration program renewal amendment offered through the CSAC Excess Insurance Authority Program (CSAC-EIA), with administration provided by Delta Dental and Preferred Benefit Insurance Administrators, for fiscal year July 1, 2012 through June 30, 2013 estimated at $305,600 for claims and enrollment services.
15. PUBLIC WORKS/FORESTHILL ROAD LOWER LAKE CLEMENTINE PROJECT AND FORESTHILL ROAD SAFETY IMPROVEMENT PROJECT CONTRACT #1127 – Resolution 2012-168 adopted authorizing the Chair to award and execute the construction contract for the Foresthill Road Lower Lake Clementine Project and Foresthill Road Safety Improvement Project, with County Counsel and Risk Management review and approval, to the lowest responsible and responsive bidder, Western Engineering Contractors Inc. for $1,547,457, and authorized the Director of Public Works to execute contract change orders up to an amount of 10% of the contract amount.
16. COUNTY COUNSEL/CLOSED SESSION REPORT:
(A) §54956.9 – CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL
1. Existing Litigation:
(a) Michele Paris v Placer County, et al, Placer Superior Court Case No SCV-0029215 – The Board heard the report from Counsel and gave direction.
(b) Scooter’s Pals Rescue v County of Placer, et al, Eastern District Court Case No. 2:12-CV-01736-GEB-KJN – The Board authorized the defense of the two county employees in the county in that litigation.
2. Anticipated Litigation:
(a) Initiation of litigation pursuant to subdivision (c) of Government Code §54956.9
Two potential cases - The Board authorized the initiation of litigation in those two cases.
(B) §54957 – PUBLIC EMPLOYEE APPOINTMENT – Chairwoman Montgomery advised the Board on a unanimous vote approved the appointment of Gerald O. Carden to a four year term for County Counsel consistent with Government Code 27641 and the Placer County Charter.
(a) Title: County Counsel
CONSENT AGENDA – Consent Agenda approved with action as indicated.
MOTION Holmes/Weygandt VOTE 4:0 (Uhler abstained)
17. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS:
a. Resolution 2012-153 adopted commending Cheryl Duncan upon her retirement for nearly 25 years of dedicated public service as an employee of the Placer County Sheriff’s Office.
b. Approved a Proclamation proclaiming August 2012 as National Child Support Awareness Month in Placer County.
c. Approved a Commendation congratulating the Tahoe Forest Hospital on the Grand Opening of the new Gene Upshaw Memorial Cancer Center.
18. CLAIMS AGAINST THE COUNTY – Rejected the following claims, as recommended by the offices of County Counsel and Risk Management:
a. 12-046, Penrod, Derek Duane, $850,000, (Personal Injury).
b. 12-056, Halderman, David L., $2,190, (Property Damage).
19. COMMITTEES & COMMISSIONS:
a. Fish and Game Commission - Approved the appointment of Gregg McKenzie to Seat #3 (representing District 3), as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
b. Assessment Appeals Board – Approved the appointment of Mike DeFerrari, effective July 17, 2012, to Seat #2 (representing District 2), as requested by Supervisor Weygandt.
c. Mental Health, Alcohol, and Drug Advisory Board - Approved changing Seat #1 representation From “Public Interest” to “Consumer” status in order to maintain a certain balance of representation.
d. Placer County Charter Review Committee – Approved the appointment of Richard Robinson to Seat #2 (representing District 2) as requested by Supervisor Weygandt.
e. Economic Development Board – Accepted the resignation of Rachael Rosenthal from Seat #16, representing Education (Public), effective July 10, 2012.
f. Municipal Advisory Council (Rural Lincoln) – Accepted the resignation of Michael Whitney from Seat #1, effective July 10, 2012.
g. Municipal Advisory Council (West Placer) – Accepted the resignation of Claudette Mitchel-Weismantel from Seat #1, effective June 9, 2012.
h. Veterans Advisory Council - Approved the appointment of Tony Sanchez, Disabled American Veterans Post 80.
20. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY:
a. Planning/2012 HOME Investment Partnership Program for First-Time Homebuyer and Owner-Occupied Housing Rehabilitation Assistance - Resolution 2012-154 adopted authorizing the CDRA Director or his designee to execute and submit an application to the California State Department of Housing and Community Development for $700,000 under the 2012 HOME Investment Partnership Program for First-Time Homebuyer and Owner-Occupied Housing Rehabilitation assistance and execute all other related documents in furtherance of the application.
b. Engineering & Surveying/Martis Camp (aka Siller Ranch) Unit 8B, Tract #1001 - Approved recording of the Final Map for Martis Camp Unit 8B:
1. Approved recording and authorize the Chair to sign the Final Map.
2. Authorized the Chair to sign the Subdivision Improvement Agreement.
3. Instructed the Clerk of the Board to do the following:
a. Prepare the Final Map for recording.
b. Prepare the Subdivision Improvement Agreement for recording.
21. COUNTY EXECUTIVE:
a. Secure Rural Schools & Community Self-Determination Act of 2000 or the Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008 – Approved final approval of conforming projects to be funded from either the Secure Rural Schools & Community Self-Determination Act of 2000 or the Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008 after close of a 45-day public comment period, during which no comments were received.
Funds are to be obligated, as shown:
· $4,719 from Placer County’s Secure Rural Schools & Community Self-Determination Act of 2000 Title III discretionary funds (hereinafter PL 106-393 funds) are to be added to the existing Title III project, “Biomass Strategic Plan Formulation” in order to complete a plan update
· $100,972 of Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008, Title III discretionary funds (hereinafter PL 110-343 funds) to two previously approved projects and to four new PL 110-343 compliant projects.
b. Merit Increases - Approved merit increases for management employees pursuant to the Placer County Code, Chapter 3 process for step, or merit, increases.
22. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES/ADULT SYSTEM OF CARE - Approved a contract with Nancy Bloom, LCSW to provide clinical supervision and training to pre-licensed therapist interns from July 1, 2012 through June 30, 2014 in an amount not to exceed $40,500 (100% state funded), and authorized the Director of Health and Human Services to sign the agreement and subsequent amendments up to 10% of the original contract amount, consistent with the agreement’s subject matter and Scope of Work.
23. PROBATION - Authorized the Chief Probation Officer to sign a renewal contract for the placement of juvenile wards in Del Norte County’s Bar-O Boys Ranch through June 30, 2015. The bed space contract shall not exceed $3500 per bed per month, on a space available basis.
24. PROCUREMENT SERVICES - In accordance with County Policy, non-contested competitively awarded bids under $250,000 are placed on the Consent Agenda. Authorized the Purchasing Manager to sign the following:
a. Change Orders/Blanket Purchase Orders/Probation - Approved Change Orders to Blanket Purchase Order #19420 with 3M Electronic Monitoring, Inc. in the amount of $170,000 and Blanket Purchase Order #19421 with Sentinel Offender Services, LLC in the amount of $45,000 for Various Electronic Monitoring Equipment and Services, and extending the Blanket Purchase Orders through December 31, 2012.
b. Bid #10191/Administrative Services/Central Services - Awarded Competitive Bid #10191 to Inland Business Systems, Inc. for a Three-Year Operating Lease of One Digital Production Color Copier, in the maximum amount of $100,000.
c. Blanket Purchase Order/Public Works/Fleet - Renewed a Competitively Awarded Blanket Purchase Order with Maaco Collision & Auto Painting for Primary Automotive Body Repairs and Painting Services, in the maximum amount of $144,000.
d. Blanket Purchase Order/Administrative Services/IT - Approved an Increase to the Administrative Services Department’s Blanket Purchase Order with Randstad Technologies for Information Technology Support Services, in the amount of $150,000.
e. Blanket Purchase Order/Sheriff - Renewed a Competitively Awarded Blanket Purchase Order with DFC, Inc. Doing Business as Advanced Helicopter Services for Helicopter Inspection and Maintenance Services, in the maximum amount of $72,000.
f. Blanket Purchase Order/Administrative Services/IT/Telecommunications - Renewed a Competitively Awarded Blanket Purchase Order with Nexus IS Inc. for Maintenance and Support of the County and Office of Education’s NEC PBX/CCIS Telephone Network Systems, in the maximum amount of $205,000.
25. PUBLIC WORKS:
a. Abandonment of a Portion of an Emergency Access Easement/Martis Camp - Resolution 2012-155 adopted to abandon a portion of an Emergency Access Easement, created in 2004, and now replaced by the road network of the Martis Camp Subdivision.
b. Blue Canyon Airport/Obstruction Removal (Trees) - Resolution 2012-156 adopted authorizing the submittal of an application for an Acquisition and Development Grant to Caltrans Division of Aeronautics for the obstruction removal (trees) project at the Blue Canyon Airport – Nyack, in an amount of $30,000, and approved a Budget Revision to the Special Aviation budget.
c. Notice of Completion/Auburn Compressed Natural Gas Fueling Station Upgrade, Phase II, Contract 1080 - Resolution 2012-157 adopted accepting the Auburn Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) Fueling Station Upgrade, Phase II as complete and authorizing the Director of Public Works to execute the Notice of Completion.
26. REVENUE SHARING – In approving the following appropriations, the Placer County Board of Supervisors makes the finding that each and every approved contribution serves a public purpose by promoting the general welfare of the County and its inhabitants; therefore, the County benefits.
a. Approved appropriation of $500 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Cowpoke Foundation’s 18th Annual Cowpoke Fall Gathering fundraiser to benefit the Ride to Walk Program, The Breast Health Center at Sutter Roseville, and the continuing Blue Goose Renovation Project in Loomis, as requested by Supervisor Holmes ($500).
b. Approved appropriation of $250 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Advocates for Mentally Ill Housing (AMIH) Housing Program to subsidize the mentally ill in their housing program, as requested by Supervisor Weygandt ($250).
a. Resolution 2012-158 adopted accepting the Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) grant in the amount of $99,760 to aid with the enforcement of problematic Alcoholic Beverage Control licensed establishments; authorized the Sheriff to sign and execute the grant agreement and authorized the Purchasing Manager to execute any documents related to associated equipment purchases funded by the grant.
b. Approved the agreement between the Placer County Sheriff’s Office and the Mountain and Valley Marijuana Investigation Team (MAVMIT) for the reimbursement of Task Force Officer overtime, for the period of January 1, 2012 through December 31, 2012 in the amount of $36,000 and authorized the Sheriff to sign and execute the agreement.
c. Accepted the Local Community Benefit Committee (LCBC) Grant funding of $10,300 for the Sheriff’s Office Special Enforcement Team (SET) to purchase specialized camera equipment and add the equipment to the FY 2012-13 Master Fixed Asset List.
28. TREASURER-TAX COLLECTOR/2012-13 TAX AND REVENUE ANTICIPATION NOTES - Adopt Resolutions (8) 2012-159 through 2012-166 adopted providing for the temporary borrowing of funds through the issuance of 2012-13 Tax and Revenue Anticipation Notes (TRAN) in the names and amounts of the following school districts: a) Colfax Elementary ($200,000); b) Dry Creek Joint Elementary ($7,500,000); c) Loomis Union ($7,500,000); d) Rocklin Unified ($15,000,000); e) Roseville City($18,000,000); f) Roseville Joint Union High ($20,000,000); g) Sierra Joint Community College District ($15,000,000); h) Western Placer Unified ($13,000,000).
***End of Consent Agenda***
ITEMS FOR INFORMATION:
29. Agriculture - 2011 Agricultural Crop Report
30 Auditor-Controller - Independent Accountant’s Report on the Treasurer’s Statement of Assets March 31, 2012.
31. Treasurer-Tax Collector - Treasurer’s Statement for the month of May 2012.
ADJOURNMENT – Next Special Meeting is Monday, July 23, 2012. Next Regular Meeting is Tuesday, July 24, 2012.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ 2012 MEETING SCHEDULE:
July 23 & 24, 2012 (Tahoe)
August 7, 2012
August 16, 2012 (Budget)
August 17, 2012 (Budget)
August 21, 2012