Placer Adult Literacy Service (PALS)
PALS provides adults with the tools to change their lives by giving them the reading, writing, and basic math skills needed to earn a living, stay healthy and improve our community. Use the PALS contact form to contact us for more information.
We Teach and Help Improve
- Reading Skills
- Writing Skills
- Computer Skills
- We also offer Job Search and GED Help
Did You Know
Adults who read, raise children who will do better in school and life.
- Is the foundation of learning
- Empowers adults to make a better life and world for themselves and their families
- Helps families be healthier, support themselves through work, become better citizens and create a more fair and just society
Won't you Join us?
Become a Volunteer Literacy Tutor!
Volunteer Literacy Tutors work with adults who want to improve their literacy skills.
How does it work?
- Learners are assessed, then matched one-on-one with a volunteer tutor.
- Literacy Tutor and learner meet at a time and place convenient to both.
- Learner Centered
- Learner Goal Oriented
A learner in the program should be:
- 16 years or older
- Out of school
- Able to speak English well enough to request services
- Able to meet with a Literacy Tutor on a regular basis
A Literacy Tutor in the program should be:
- 18 years or older
- Proficient in both spoken and written English
- Able to participate in a Literacy Tutor training
- Able to meet with learner on regular basis
- Able to commit to volunteering for a minimum of 6 months
Upcoming Literacy Tutor Trainings:
The next Volunteer Literacy Tutor Training will be Monday, December 14 from 1:00-4:00 p.m. at the Auburn Library. To register, or find out more, please contact Angela Perron by phone: 530-886-4530 or Email: PALS@placer.ca.gov. There is no cost to become a reading coach. Interested participants must pre-register so that adequate materials can be supplied.
Literacy Support Council of Placer County
Formed in 1991, the Literacy Support Council of Placer County is a non-profit, volunteer run organization, whose sole purpose is to support the Placer Adult Literacy Service. Meetings are held in the community room of the library listed below. Come join us! The public is welcome.
- Tuesday, December 1, 2015, 1:00 p.m. at Auburn Library
- Tuesday, January 26, 2016, 5:00 p.m. at Rocklin Library
- Tuesday, March 29, 2016, Noon at Auburn Library
- Tuesday, June 28, 2016, 5:00 p.m. at Auburn Library -AGM Party!
- Tuesday, July 26, 2016, Noon at Auburn Library
- Tuesday, September 27, 2016, 5:00 p.m. at Rocklin Library
- Tuesday, November 29, 2016, Noon at Auburn Library
Additional information is available by visiting the Literacy Support Council at https://www.facebook.com/LSCPlacer or emailing LSCPlacer@yahoo.com.
Literacy Support Council of Placer County mailing address: P.O. Box 5291 Auburn, CA 95604-5291
Become a Reading Booster
Have a passion for promoting the importance of reading? Want to support the improvement of reading skills for the adults in your community? Become a Reading Booster!
Find out more about what it means to become a Reading Booster .
Search the Library Catalog
Find books, audiobooks, eBooks & eAudio, DVDs and more
Access your Account
Renew, place holds, view checkouts