Public Health Laboratory
The Placer County Board of Supervisors voted Feb. 6 to authorize a contract with Sacramento County to provide public health laboratory services, and close the Placer County Public Health Laboratory in Auburn by the end of June. Learn more.
All existing services will be transitioned to Sacramento County except for blood lead and water testing, which will shift to private labs.
Residents seeking water testing can view a list of alternative service locations here.
If you have questions on disinfecting your well, please see Environmental Health.
If you have been bitten by a tick and wish to have it tested, we can determine the species and test for Lyme disease.
Follow these steps to properly remove a tick, if you have been bitten:
- Use tweezers to grasp the head of the tick as close to the skin as possible, and pull straight out.
- Do not squash, burn, smother, or twist ticks.
- Use gloves, tissue or other barrier if you must use your fingers to remove the tick.
- Wash your hands and the bite with soap and water after tick removal.
- Place the tick in a rigid, tightly closed plastic container with a damp paper towel or cotton ball inside.
- DO NOT place the tick in alcohol, formalin, or other preservatives.
- Store in a cool place. It is important to keep the tick alive until delivery to the lab.
- Deliver to the Lab with an Examination Request Form (tick testing can be found under "Parasitology")
A localized reaction or infection can occur where the tick was attached. If redness or pain develops at the bite site, please consult your Physician.
For more information on whether or not you should test a tick for disease, please refer to the California Department of Public Health document, Questions and Answers.
For additional information regarding submitting a tick for testing, please see our Tick Submission flier.
Tick Testing Hours
8:00a.m. to 5:00p.m., Monday through Friday. Staff is available to accept samples during lunch hours.
Public Health offices are closed on County Holidays.
- Tick Identification $13.00
- Lyme Disease Test $26.00